How to quantify under utilisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ren_Hao

Aug 27, 2004
Hi all,

Saw from B&S that quite a number of ppl selling their relatively new dSLR cited underutilization as the reason for selling. And further, most say that they are selling their dSLR to get a prosumer cam instead.
I have being considering to get a dSLR after playing around with my S1 for a year odd. But I am a little hestitant after looking through the B&S and seeing so many ppl selling of their relatively new cams. How do you guys quantify underutilization?
For myself, i use my cam about 1-2 times a month, and each time i use it, i will take more than 100 shots (This is the number that i finally keep lah). I wonder if this will be an under-utlization of the cam.
What are your opinions?

Compare to some of us hardcore photographers, you S1 is way under utilized. But I think you are a very typical user. My advise, stay with the S1.

Ren_Hao said:
Hi all,

Saw from B&S that quite a number of ppl selling their relatively new dSLR cited underutilization as the reason for selling. And further, most say that they are selling their dSLR to get a prosumer cam instead.
I have being considering to get a dSLR after playing around with my S1 for a year odd. But I am a little hestitant after looking through the B&S and seeing so many ppl selling of their relatively new cams. How do you guys quantify underutilization?
For myself, i use my cam about 1-2 times a month, and each time i use it, i will take more than 100 shots (This is the number that i finally keep lah). I wonder if this will be an under-utlization of the cam.
What are your opinions?

Yes. Under-utlization of the cam.

if u feel buying a DSLR will makes u wanna shoot more often,i dun see y not..provided it is well within ur financial means..

i know alot of frds who owns 3 or more motorbikes and car..

Ren_Hao said:
Hi all,

What are your opinions?

Maybe you might like to think on.. WHY you want to get a DSLR ? Don't forget it is bulkier, heavier than your S1 and also you cannot make use of the LCD monitor for preview anymore if you do use that often. The cost of a DSLR body may be cheap or similar to a prosumer camera but that excludes the cost of an external flash and lenses that you need. Just think carefully on whether you need a DSLR and whether u will still bring along it to shoot what u did with ur S1.

i can say your S1 is under-utilised. getting a DSLR will be the same as well.

got to ask yourself whether you want better picture quality out of the DSLR since you might be using the same amount of shoots per month. DSLR prices drop like flies in short span of time!

it depends on you. if u feel 1-2 times a month is justification enough for a DSLR, then go get it.

u will be able to get nice bokeh on ur shots plus better picture quality.

is this good enough a reason? u decide :)

When you have time spent in this forum talking about photographing instead of doing it, you are underutilising your camera and overutilising the computer.

swhyge said:
When you have time spent in this forum talking about photographing instead of doing it, you are underutilising your camera and overutilising the computer.
shoot, you that means my cam is under utilized as well. ;(

anyways, utilization is not how much you use the cam each month. it is how much satisaction do you get everytime you use it. you dun need to be shooting 400-500 shots per weekend to mean utilizing it. if you think your pics are worth the investment in your camera, then you are fine.

Thanks guys for all the constructive sugguestion.

Seems like there are 2 schl of thoughts:
1) Satisfaction determine utilization level and
2) Number of pic determine utilization level.
Though most subscribe to the 2nd schl of thought.

swhyge: no flames intended but, time spent on this forum are all office time, time i have when i am taking a breather from my work.......... cant be possibily taking photo when i am working as i am not a paid photographer

Hey, your boss is underutilising you! Or is he/she feels satisfied by having you around???

Anyway - my comment was not meant to be serious.

Like many things in life, once you want a clinically clean definition, it becomes difficult - and there is a whole profession who job is to make definition confusingly clear and in the process making tons of $$$.

dun use at all = 0 = obviously under-utilised!
anything more than 0 - depends on you and only you.

Ren_Hao said:
Thanks guys for all the constructive sugguestion.

Seems like there are 2 schl of thoughts:
1) Satisfaction determine utilization level and
2) Number of pic determine utilization level.
Though most subscribe to the 2nd schl of thought.

swhyge: no flames intended but, time spent on this forum are all office time, time i have when i am taking a breather from my work.......... cant be possibily taking photo when i am working as i am not a paid photographer
My situation:
Recently bought a DSLR and then posted to a remote place to work. If we talk about the number of times a person gets to use the camera, then I am definitely under-utlising my camera!! :( But I'm not complaining cos whenever I use the camera, I get great images out of it.:D

For me, I prefer:

"To have the item available when I need it rather than need it but not having it."

In the past, when someone want to sell something on Buy-and-sell, someone else will ask "reason to sell?", I called this classic Singapore-phenomenon.

So one day, the seller got tired, so just write down underutilisation so no one else will ask anymore, proceed to buy and sell faster.

swhyge said:
Hey, your boss is underutilising you! Or is he/she feels satisfied by having you around???

Anyway - my comment was not meant to be serious.

Like many things in life, once you want a clinically clean definition, it becomes difficult - and there is a whole profession who job is to make definition confusingly clear and in the process making tons of $$$.

dun use at all = 0 = obviously under-utilised!
anything more than 0 - depends on you and only you.

No prob bro, just the nature of my job, lobo for sometime, than work like no tomorrow the next.
No offence taken ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.