How to protect ur Cam and lens overseas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kensuke

Oct 29, 2006
Chinatown
Hi everyone , this is my first time , taking my DSLR to overseas ...

i was wondering that if there is no dry box even ... how do i protect it ?

Keep in cupboard ? drawers ?

i appreaciate all the feedbacks and comments ... Thanks in advance ... :)

I recently went Korea for a holiday and brought my PnS, DSLR and 2 lenses. If your trip is around a week with cool weather, it's safe to just keep it in the camera bag. If you're staying for longer durations and in humid weather, u may want to put silica gel inside.

What country? If the climate there is dry, then you won't have a problem. Fungus growth happens over years anyway, so vacations to most countries for a month or so shouldn't be a problem. Go to a really wet place like the Amazon and you'll have to worry about some serious condensation when you take out your camera, though.

But anyway, portable dry boxes exist, for you to store your camera and carry it around.

I have taken my Camera and lens to Japan, China and Korea, no problem at all. I'm more concern of thievery.

I brought my gear to Seattle for 2 yrs and Perth for 3 yrs, no problems. Put them in the camera bag with packets of silica gel.

brought my dslr to ho chi minh recently. I just keep in my camera bag, shouldn't be a problem. Like someone mentioned, thievery is more of a concern. When i was shooting, the locals were like staring at me.... some with intrigue, while others i am not very sure..

wad is silica gel? :embrass:

and where can get it lol :embrass:

wad is silica gel? :embrass:

and where can get it lol :embrass:

Silica Gels are little tiny blue crystal-like things which absorbs moisture and turns light pink when it reaches its limit, then have to replace.

U can get it for around $3 a bottle at photolabs or camera shops. Price depends on different shops too.

How abt thirsty hippo ?

abt the slica gels , muz put inside the bag ? In use or not in use time ?

How abt thirsty hippo ?

Thirsty Hippos more for closets and cabinets.

The silica gels must always be in a bag. Just make a small bag from cut-out plastic bags then store them inside. Change when it turns ight pink, that's what i always do before i got my dry cabinet.

i got this waterproof rubber bag which i got when i went to krabi... very useful when going to the beach and taking boat ride... suppose to be waterproof even if the whole thing drop into the sea

it rained during the boat ride back to main land and we were soaked... luckily my camera is well protected in the bag :lovegrin:

How abt thirsty hippo ?

Bro, with a Thristy HIPPO, you'll need to sacrifice 1 slot for the cam... :bsmilie:

I guess you can buy a dry box, and remove the gel container from within. Else, just get a plastic container DIY (poke some holes by the side/ top)... VIOLA You have your very own dry "bottle"

just leave them on the table in the hotel.:cool:

even in singapore, its ok to leave camera outside dry box if you are using e lens/camera. if i know i am gonna shoot quite alot, i don bother to keep the lens in the dryboz and taking it them out again...troublesome. just leave them in the bag.

just think of leather goods like wallet, if you keep using it there will be no fungus. but keep in a humid plac for a month and fungus will appear. fungus needs time and bacteria also need a stable home! keep moving and shaking the lens the fungus wont have a chance

In hotel aircond room, it should be ok.

Protect your cam and lens by not showing off, never walk alone, as some country criminal is quite not predictable, and you are not local there.

Regards,
Arto.

The thing is, when you come back, clean and air your your gear then faster put them in some dry box or cabinet.

Last Dec I went to Beijing, temp range from -4 to 6c in the week I was there. When came back, was very tired and forgot to clean my gear.

In the end, fungus on my filters. Lucky thing only starting to grow type.

Thanks alot guys ... Realli appreaciate all ur feedbacks ...

Think hab to get some silica gels le ... :)

In temperate countries, dry box not very necessary. That's why they don't even need to put their opened boxes of cornflakes in Tupperware - won't "lao hong" one! I was in Brisbane Australia for 4+ years and I never used any dry box, no problems. However, do note that dry climates give another problem: Static charge tends to build up rather easily, making things become dust-magnets, so take extra care when changing lenses on your DSLR.

This is how I do it, get the air tight plastic box as shown in the pictures:

DSCF0048.jpg

DSCF0047.jpg

Picture shown is the box with D80 and 18-200mm VR.

This is how I do it, get the air tight plastic box as shown in the pictures:

DSCF0048.jpg

DSCF0047.jpg

Picture shown is the box with D80 and 18-200mm VR.
It is not a good idea to keep the lens' bag together in lower humidity chamber.

Regards,
Arto.

It is not a good idea to keep the lens' bag together in lower humidity chamber.

Regards,
Arto.

Would like to know what is the reason? the bag is made of fabric not plastic? I put the lense bag is to prevent the lense body from rubbing aginst the camera body, alternatively, one can use a piece of form in between as protection, but I though the bag will be neater.

Status
Not open for further replies.