How to protect my gear in snowy land?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennyevan

Feb 3, 2006
far west
Hi guys, need some advice here. Juz booked a 10 days tour package to different part of China in mid Dec. Hoping to bring my D70s with 18-135mm. Pls share your precious tips on the do and don'ts for shooting in cold weather. Thanks. :)

dun bring...keep it at home...

Don't keep bringing it from hot room to cold outside, etc. The glass will always need some time to adjust to the temp, so you risk condensation. Other than that, keep a spare batt warm in your pocket.

you'll be fine. keep a spare battery and watch out for condensation. let it evapourate instead of wiping it and dont go outside with condensation still on the lens, it'll freeze...then you'll have to bring it back in and wait...

wrap it with a piece of clothe or t shirt when you bring it from one temp to another. let the temp slowly adjust. :)

then he will charge $200 for the "cold armour jacket protector" :bsmilie:

another 50 for the speedlite cold protector. :bsmilie:

Impt to keep your batteries warm.
When i was in korea, i was shooting halfway and the batteries just went out on me.I switched to my other battery which i had charged the night before and i only took 10-20 shots before it went out too:(
I put it in my pocket with my hand warmer for a while and hey!It works again!

Thank u folks for yr input, am learning stuff. When u said condensation, do mean in or outside the glass or the viewfinder? Sign of it will be blurred glass right? Will the low temp affect the shoot setting compared to normal temp?

I'm no expert. But i think if the front of the lens looks like your specs after you walk out from an air conditioned room, then you should wait.

anything glass will attract condensation. you'll see it when you look through your viewfinder and everything is foggy. low temp will noticably affect your battery life. aside for that...it might lower noise, but that probably wont be noticable.

anything glass will attract condensation. you'll see it when you look through your viewfinder and everything is foggy. low temp will noticably affect your battery life. aside for that...it might lower noise, but that probably wont be noticable.

lower noise???

additional feature, soft focusing? :think:

Perhaps when the temperature is cold, lesser hot pixel... I am just guessing...

Thanks for the great tips guys. Appreciate. :)

realli cannot wipe away the condensation on the len filter? :think:
me always wipe it with a tissue papaer onli ;p......so far no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.