How to properly critique on images?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XC Pictorial

Apr 29, 2006
www.lens.sg
I refer to this thread as i continue:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=3124935#post3124935

Are we only allowed to give politically correct answers, like nice, good work, room for improvement?

If an image is like sh!t, do you say so? or do you just say, nevermind will improve next time? If a user doesnt even know clearly the state/level of his skills/works, then how does he ever improve, whn he doesnt even know that he has to..

I personally find crap a relatively fine word for critique. For those stucked on on CS, perhaps they can widen their perpectives by looking at some overseas well known and real photography instead of chit chat forums, and see how even images which will get the "nice" comment on CS get slammed upside down. Which is also why i rarely post images on CS for critiques. I dont need people to tell me nice, i need to know instead, how to progress to the next level.

I strongly feel that so long comments are targetted towards the works and not the person, anything goes. At least for me, i would appreciate that someone even bothers to tell me that my images are bad.

So the purpose of this thread, i would like to hear views of others? and if possible tell me how am i supposed to comment? Instead of lousy, do i say Very not Excellent ?:)

Point 1:
hate to sound rude, but my k800i can take better pics then that.
ihub knew and admitted it was rude.

Point 2
yes you are rude indeed.
would like to see your k800i's pics. why do you post them up?
TS point it was rude and show his displeasure for the rudeness

Point 3:
If u cant take comments why bother put up images for comment?
And yes, the images are crap... DSLR? :bsmilie:
First part of your comment is directed at the TS personally.

The 2nd part of your comment is a one liner, non constructive comments to say it is crap and peppered with mocking scarasm "DSLR? :bsmilie: " - which is uncalled for

Point 3
My comments are only towards the images, which i maintain my views on and i am sure even the infamous DP would rest his case...
I have nothing against the user who post the images and did not made any personal attacks against him/her for sure.
Since the forum appreciates only comments like nice, good work, room for improvement, i am fine with it and will never bother to give an honest/sincere comment :thumbsup:

You are putting words into us to say we appreciate comments like nice words etc etc which I nor any mod have mentioned.

What is pointed out here is very simple - the violation of the Term of Use #01 and nor of what you have accuse us of

There is a Term of Use in this forum so abide by it - period.

I shall stop here leave this for all members to see. Nothing to hide

The answer to your question in the title is simple -

Is a on liner non constructive comments aimed at mocking the poster a proper critique?
Go figure

Must be good in english, like me, english never pass in all levels, some times wanna comments, but simply dun know how to put in text, so alot of times never comments, and when i comments, is cos the pics really cannot make it.

Tried to comments using good english, guess what, i spend alot times checking dictionary, so i dun bother now.

There are many ways of saying a picture is not good, or that it is bad.

In fact, those 2 terms will suffice, why do we have to take it a step further and say that it is crap, when the word itself is particularly offensive? Objective critique does not go all the way to destroy another person's ego. Nor does a constructive person.

The difference between a good critic and bad critic - one appears to have the intention of helping the poster learn, the other appears to have the intention of putting the poster down. It is not a matter of sugar coating one's statements per se, but rather, choosing your words properly. I am sure that if you were a newbie who didn't know how to use his camera, you'd appreciate someone telling you what is wrong, in a mild manner, instead of just telling you that PICTURES SUCK! CRAP! HAHAHA!

Personally, I do not really care how someone tells me what he thinks of my photographs, so long as it is valid and he has good intentions and the proper knowledge with where he's coming from. But not everyone is like that, and I think we should all remember to walk in another person's shoes before making hurtful statements like that.

If your comments here are to invite flaming, then pls keep to yourself.

I believe you are adding comments not even mentioned till now..

Thanks for selectively quoting whatever part of the long essay I wrote just to put up the comments above. It is much more polite, and appropriate if you adjust the whole thing as a whole instead of just putting a fence up amongst the parts which are not so politically correct in order to justify your own previous actions. 2 wrongs do not make a right.

In any case, CRAP is in the same category of critique comments as PICTURES SUCK, so perhaps this will help you see my point better, shrug. If it doesn't and you think that I am inviting flaming, then well, I can't exactly control your thoughts, can I? :)

Must be good in english, like me, english never pass in all levels, some times wanna comments, but simply dun know how to put in text, so alot of times never comments, and when i comments, is cos the pics really cannot make it.

Tried to comments using good english, guess what, i spend alot times checking dictionary, so i dun bother now.

since tis is kopitiam...

well, my 2 cents... some ppl can take comments some cannot... and some can give comments, some cannot...

so if its such simple equation, machiam play 4D...

u have few possible scenario

Can take negative comment + can give positive comment = best
Can take negative comment + cannot give positive comment = neutral
Cannot take negative comment + can give positive comment = neutral
Cannot take negative comment + cannot give positive comment = Mod step in to close thread...

So i'm just thinking... if its such a problem... y not those who can't take comments, dun ask for comments, post pics, say, comments not needed, or better still... flattery prefered... then solve the problem altogether...

Well, i do believe that most are entitled to their own views and such, and i believe that TS himself should try to make an effort to do self critique before posting, and if really do not like comments, just close the thread. Most of us are mature, unless you think you are not, then i got nothing to say, in reality, this isn't the worse critique yet, and always take things with a huge pinch of salt, smile it thru, done... likewise, can pm the person giving the negative comments on improvement instead of becoming defensive.

Let Peace Prevail.

(p.s. i am not siding with ihub88 or xc pictorial, just voicing my views)

since tis is kopitiam...

well, my 2 cents... some ppl can take comments some cannot... and some can give comments, some cannot...

so if its such simple equation, machiam play 4D...

u have few possible scenario

Can take negative comment + can give positive comment = best
Can take negative comment + cannot give positive comment = neutral
Cannot take negative comment + can give positive comment = neutral
Cannot take negative comment + cannot give positive comment = Mod step in to close thread...

So i'm just thinking... if its such a problem... y not those who can't take comments, dun ask for comments, post pics, say, comments not needed, or better still... flattery prefered... then solve the problem altogether...

Well, i do believe that most are entitled to their own views and such, and i believe that TS himself should try to make an effort to do self critique before posting, and if really do not like comments, just close the thread. Most of us are mature, unless you think you are not, then i got nothing to say, in reality, this isn't the worse critique yet, and always take things with a huge pinch of salt, smile it thru, done... likewise, can pm the person giving the negative comments on improvement instead of becoming defensive.

Let Peace Prevail.

Not to forget, some ppl here just cannot read, interms of treating comments like flame baits or bad. I kena b4, good intentions but someone say my post is flaming him lor.

Not to forget, some ppl here just cannot read, interms of treating comments like flame baits or bad. I kena b4, good intentions but someone say my post is flaming him lor.

i also kena before...

sometimes we just suay caught between fights, then ppl drag us in for the royal rumble...

I am not related to ihub nor responsible for what he said, though i do agree with him that with proper usage, the SE mobile phone cameras are able to produce images much better, can easily do a search, i have seen some post of such. And if so, isnt he just stating a fact?

This is towards the TS, yes, but how is this qns rude?

The first part is clear, the images...

The second part is mocking at how the DSLR has changed from the professional tool to now used by many who cant even moved pass the Auto mode. Not directly at anyone, TS or mods...

Let Peace Prevail.

I assume that when you post a thread with images in a photography forum, it is for critique. Or else? to show off your latest gears? :bsmilie:

When i surf some real photography forums, it works this way. Unless CS has a flattery thread thing going on which i dont know of...

Now the key thing that i am unhappy about, this infraction thing? I have no idea what the thing means, but for bothering to comment on lousy images i deserve to given this thing?

Thanks for selectively quoting whatever part of the long essay I wrote just to put up the comments above. It is much more polite, and appropriate if you adjust the whole thing as a whole instead of just putting a fence up amongst the parts which are not so politically correct in order to justify your own previous actions. 2 wrongs do not make a right.

In any case, CRAP is in the same category of critique comments as PICTURES SUCK, so perhaps this will help you see my point better, shrug. If it doesn't and you think that I am inviting flaming, then well, I can't exactly control your thoughts, can I? :)

Crap = Sucks?

Sucks = Sh!t?

Sh!t = Fked up?

so crap = sh!t = fked up?

Voice your opinion all you can, this is kopitiam, but pls i repeat, avoid flaming.. You are indirectly putting words into others. Keep to the original term used. ;)

I assume that when you post a thread with images in a photography forum, it is for critique. Or else? to show off your latest gears? :bsmilie:

When i surf some real photography forums, it works this way. Unless CS has a flattery thread thing going on which i dont know of...

Now the key thing that i am unhappy about, this infraction thing? I have no idea what the thing means, but for bothering to comment on lousy images i deserve to given this thing?

well, i dunno if u noticed... there are some pics which i think u will deem '****' but yet there are people saying its beautiful... so ya... alot of 'flattery' involved...

anyway, everyone have different views of each image... and some people have different tolerance to type of comments given to them. I believe that you could also move on, the infraction given to you is not a serious one.

Well, just go comment on other pictures, just take note on which type of comments you can post to the poster. And well, peace prevails.

there are many csers post pics are just to seek praise only.

seeking critique is not their intention, from their response towards others giving comments about their images you should able to understand them clearly, giving them some "nice shots" :thumbsup: :thumbsup: is just they want, this won't harm you, if you can't, can always skip view the thread.

for those who willing to learn, you can tell who the are from their posting, replies, and see great improvement on their progress, these people should deserve your attention more.

there are many csers post pics are just to seek praise only.

seeking critique is not their intention, from their response towards others giving comments about their images you should able to understand them clearly, giving them some "nice shots" :thumbsup: :thumbsup: is just they want, this won't harm you, if you can't, can always skip view the thread.

for those who willing to learn, you can tell who the are from their posting, replies, and see great improvement on their progress, these people should deserve your attention more.

Yep ill learn from the man with 5K post experience...

ill "nice shots" to all now.. ;)

PS: been wanting to get ur albums but no time go punggol.. :cry:

my 2 cents...

from a academic point of view, there are some words i would never use on my students or their work. e.g., stupid, crap, s**t, screwed, f**kup etc etc. these are de-meaning words and serve to put a person down.

but i do use them when i talk to them off hours. they do know from my expresson and mannterism that when i used them, i am only kidding with them. here in the forum, no one can see what u when u type, no one knows that you are being constructive, causual or downright rude.

take it from me, this is a fact of life. ppl can and are sensitive to words being said. i got charged in the army for me a SoB calling my trainees stupid, and i do realise is my fault.

XC, let it rest and watch ur words. some words are better to be avoided. in the working world, this is a sad fact of life. as for the infarction thingie, well let the mods decide.

well, i dunno if u noticed... there are some pics which i think u will deem '****' but yet there are people saying its beautiful... so ya... alot of 'flattery' involved...

anyway, everyone have different views of each image... and some people have different tolerance to type of comments given to them. I believe that you could also move on, the infraction given to you is not a serious one.

Well, just go comment on other pictures, just take note on which type of comments you can post to the poster. And well, peace prevails.

Of cos i can choose to move on.. Ultimately i am just behind a computer screen, at most the admin ban me, i can come back with another username on another ip address. But that is just admitting i am in the wrong. Problem is i try really hard but nothing wrong...

Do a simple search, crap is not insulting, neither rude. It is just a slang young people, or those under western influence use nowadays. Like people saying "oh crap, i forgot again" etc... Do a search, easily can find many people saying things like " oh, i really think the pics i took are crap.. i need to improve" so are they insulting themselves?

Lastly i dont understand why am i given this infraction thing only 2 weeks after? And not on the spot? Just because someone dug it out?

The crux of the matter I will repeat

The answer to your question in the title is simple -

Is a on liner non constructive comments aimed at mocking the poster a proper critique?
Go figure

Your critic

will not even be accepted in the critic forum.

If you do not know how to critic perhaps I can show you a suggestion, read this http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=273343
Instead of trying to distract members attention and shift the blame to the TS that he cannot take critic. It is actually the critics himself cannot even given a proper critic.

Enuf said

my 2 cents...

from a academic point of view, there are some words i would never use on my students or their work. e.g., stupid, crap, s**t, screwed, f**kup etc etc. these are de-meaning words and serve to put a person down.

I agree with you on students..

But dealing with children and adults are different. Of cos assumming those who post here are mature adults... or maybe not :think:

So next time ill go:" Hmm i think you have put in alot of effort, and i am very very proud of you. And because of the effort you put in, i am going to give you full marks this time. But you must promise me that you do not become proud.. And work harder to improve ok?"

No offense to anyone, just entertaining myself, on leave and bored today :bsmilie:

I refer to this thread as i continue:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=3124935#post3124935

Are we only allowed to give politically correct answers, like nice, good work, room for improvement?

If an image is like sh!t, do you say so? or do you just say, nevermind will improve next time? If a user doesnt even know clearly the state/level of his skills/works, then how does he ever improve, whn he doesnt even know that he has to..

I personally find crap a relatively fine word for critique. For those stucked on on CS, perhaps they can widen their perpectives by looking at some overseas well known and real photography instead of chit chat forums, and see how even images which will get the "nice" comment on CS get slammed upside down. Which is also why i rarely post images on CS for critiques. I dont need people to tell me nice, i need to know instead, how to progress to the next level.

I strongly feel that so long comments are targetted towards the works and not the person, anything goes. At least for me, i would appreciate that someone even bothers to tell me that my images are bad.

So the purpose of this thread, i would like to hear views of others? and if possible tell me how am i supposed to comment? Instead of lousy, do i say Very not Excellent ?:)

I think its definitely ok to give comments that the image is bad and offer suggestions how they could be better. What I find weird (maybe its the Asian culture) is that some people post pictures and do not mentally prepare themselves for less than glowing reviews. Everyone has their own pref and standards so someone is bound to comment on the image - be it good or bad. However, "crap" is a strong word, maybe something like "not very good", "not impressive", "something doesnt look right" or a simple "I dont like it" would be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.