how to pronounce photography related words

photoart

Feb 21, 2009
Singapore
www.facebook.com
BOKEH

[video=youtube;dXXosIG7YDA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXXosIG7YDA&feature=plcp&context=C41bc341VDvjVQa1PpcFPuuioFA7CmvJNW1Eqd_39h EqoHWK6mQTM%3D[/video]

Pronunciation of bokeh - how to pronounce bokeh correctly.

NIKON

[video=youtube;j_mPk4xMNUU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_mPk4xMNUU&feature=plcp&context=C4dafc73VDvjVQa1PpcFPuuioFA7CmvF99CEyVwXkG fhheaM-wZlk%3D[/video]

aperture

Pronunciation of aperture - how to pronounce aperture correctly.

CANON

Pronunciation of canon - how to pronounce canon correctly.

LEICA
Pronunciation of leica - how to pronounce leica correctly.

hasselblad
Pronunciation of hasselblad - how to pronounce hasselblad correctly.

This thread should be made a sticky once more stuff is uploaded hee hee hee !!!

Last edited:
Nikon:

The video has it as "Nine-kon" - after how Americans pronounce "Nike" as "Nine-kee".

But if you refer to the official Nikon Japan site, they call themselves in Japanese as "ニコン". This is pronounced as "Nee-kon". But the company's original name was "日本光学工業株式会社" (Nippon Kōgaku Kōgyō Kabushikigaisha "Japan Optical Industries Co., Ltd."), the correct abbreviation in Japan should be "ニッコン"("日光") - which should be pronounced as "nic-kon". But of course one has to follow the word the company chose.

Canon:

The link pronounced it as "can-non" - the same as the English word "canon" (as in the scripture or authoritative text). But...

"The company was originally named Kwanon by Goro Yoshida after the Buddhist bodhisattva Guan Yin, known in Japanese as Kannon." (Wikipedia)

This would make the correct pronunciation "car-non". But the official Japanese site has it as "キヤノン" - which should be pronounced "kya-non". (It's "ki ya non" - but in Japanese "ki ya" is pronounced "kya" - skipping the "i").

By the way, Nikon is a member of the Mitsubishi Group of companies.

Bokeh:

(From Wikipedia) -

"The term comes from the Japanese word boke (暈け or ボケ), which means "blur" or "haze", or boke-aji (ボケ味), the "blur quality". The Japanese term boke is also used in the sense of a mental haze or senility. The term bokashi (暈かし) is related, meaning intentional blurring or gradation.

The English spelling bokeh was popularized in 1997 in Photo Techniques magazine, when Mike Johnston, the editor at the time, commissioned three papers on the topic for the March/April 1997 issue; he altered the spelling to suggest the correct pronunciation to English speakers, saying "it is properly pronounced with bo as in bone and ke as in Kenneth, with equal stress on either syllable"."

Those youtube videos are just filled with American mispronunciations....

Those youtube videos are just filled with American mispronunciations....

precisely.

and Uncle Fai, the reason why you have to pronounce the Japanese words with extra consonants is because..... that's the closest to English it sounds like.

I was googling some non-photography pronunciation words and came across these.

There are differences in pronunciation due to the accents of nationalities. And there's no 100% American or 100% British accents. People living in different states have different pronunciation of words.

Texas have a very accent from New York.... London and north uk also have a different accent. So the sound produced will affect the pronunciation

I was googling some non-photography pronunciation words and came across these.

There are differences in pronunciation due to the accents of nationalities. And there's no 100% American or 100% British accents. People living in different states have different pronunciation of words.

Texas have a very accent from New York.... London and north uk also have a different accent. So the sound produced will affect the pronunciation

Which is why I did not say that the pronounication posted by the TS is "wrong"... just that they are "American".

Fyi, We're not americans. So, these pronunciations is wrong. Unless you are a American-wannabe.

Fezqu said:
Fyi, We're not americans. So, these pronunciations is wrong. Unless you are a American-wannabe.

Ok... But we are not Japanese either, and I don't want to be Japanese wannabe. So tell me what is the correct pronunciation for "Nikon" and "Canon".

Since D800E comes out, we have to introduce another word. Moire ... pronounced "more ray".

Ok... But we are not Japanese either, and I don't want to be Japanese wannabe. So tell me what is the correct pronunciation for "Nikon" and "Canon".

if you wanna pronounce with Japanese intonation:

Nee-kon

Ka-non

don't drag the Ns :bsmilie:

For a start, this is a Japanese company. They name and sound it this way and you go around pronouncing it by your accent?

Why don't you pronouce "orange" as "orh leng". We are Chinese not english.

For a start, this is a Japanese company. They name and sound it this way and you go around pronouncing it by your accent?

Why don't you pronouce "orange" as "orh leng". We are Chinese not english.

well-said. bro Fezqu

Uncle Fai. don't be ignorant of the truth. you're not being a Japanese wannabe by pronouncing it correctly. you're being humble and accepting that others have their own language and pronunciation. by saying that you should have every right to *******ize someone's language, you will be deemed arrogant.

Bee-tee-double-yew. i'm part Japanese.

by saying that you should have every right to *******ize someone's language, you will be deemed arrogant.

Reminds me of the Singlish vs Queen's English debate. So we are arrogant in not speaking proper Queen's English?

Some years ago, I saw a TV interview of a Singaporean working in Beijing. According to him, we are a disgrace coz we are not speaking proper Mandarin. The only proper Mandarin is the one spoken with the Beijing accent, he said in his best pseudo-Beijing accent.

Anyway, "Nikon" (for example) is "尼康" ("nee-kang") in China. So they being arrogant? And in many videos in Youtube, Nikon representatives in America can be caught saying it as "Nine-kon".