How to print an image 20" x 24" into wall size

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvsaint

Feb 15, 2006
I have a painting which I need to print out to about 10 times the size. It’s to be mounted into a wall. The problem is the size of the image is only 20" x 24".

Is it possible to do a high resolution scanning of the painting and then be able to print it out? Anybody can recommend me a place to do this and the cost involved.

If it's a painting you need reproduced faithfully, chances are the only scanning that will give you the quality is drum scanning.

Only problem is usually the item being scanned is damaged or destroyed in the process.

However, I'm not sure if more advanced and safe scanning processes are available these days.

Here's what I would consider as viable options:

1) Photograph the painting using a large or medium format film camera with slide film, and either do the blow up directly from there, or have it scanned digitally then go from there;

2) If you know anyone willing to lend or rent you one, shoot directly on a medium format digital cam and go from there.

You would need the usual repo lighting considerations used for artworks. In your case, with a painting that's only 20 x 24", you should be able to do this with two strobes.

Thank you for the quick reply. Do you know where i could go for drum scanning..

I'm surprised no one else chimed in to help.

Check the colour seperators, or some print production houses might be able to help.

Sorry i don;t have any name off hand; been out of the industry for too long. Check the commercial/industrial guide - that's where I would start. If you have any friends in the advertising industry, you could check with them for contacts and perhaps better rates.

Also check the pro labs catering to profesionals; they might be able to offer alternative ways.

All the best.

Alternative to drum scanning or shooting with medium format camera is to shoot in sections using a DSLR with a good macro lens. The individual shots can be stitched in SW to result in a high resolution digital version of the original image.

There is a flatbed scanner made specifically for museums to scan fine art, the Colortrac 24120. Its probably a good alternative to drum scanning, esp if the painting is delicate or not completely flat, but you might have to look overseas for such a service with this scanner.

Thank you for all ideas, will look out for which is most suitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.