how to prevent slanting

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg171s

Jul 20, 2006
Auckland
hey all, I really need help & inputs from you all.

Here's my problem, I've been shotting with 350d using the kit lens, its a good lense and camera.
but I found that for almost everytime I shoot, it's quite hard to keep my picture straight and not slant.

for example, if you take a picture of landscape with buildings, do you keep it according to the vertical lines of the buildings or keep it according to the horizontal plane of the landscape?

meeeh.. quite confusing question yeah? :sweat:
I hope someone out there understand it.

looking forward or your replies.
thanks alot

YNWA

Just one question, does 350d come with on demand grid inside the viewfinder?

When you photograph a building and you aim the camera upwards the buildings seem like they are falling in on you or the tops of the building seems narrower, this effect is called keystoning. There isn't much you can do about it, other than try not tilt your camera upwards too much to minimise the keystone effect. Another way is to use a perspective controll lens but then again there are limitations to using a lens like that, apart from the cost of using such a dedicated lens.

If you are shooting from a distance, keep your camera as level as possible.

hondasleeper said:
When you photograph a building and you aim the camera upwards the buildings seem like they are falling in on you or the tops of the building seems narrower, this effect is called keystoning. There isn't much you can do about it, other than try not tilt your camera upwards too much to minimise the keystone effect. Another way is to use a perspective controll lens but then again there are limitations to using a lens like that, apart from the cost of using such a dedicated lens.

If you are shooting from a distance, keep your camera as level as possible.
I think what the TS is talking about is the building being slanted to the sides, and not tapering towards the centre.(levelled at zero degrees).
Even with a perspective control lens, slanting can still be present.

CG171s, I recommend you to get the hotshoe spirit level, similar to the one found in this thread. http://clubsnap.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210984
They are available off the shelves at CP.
Another way is to train your eyes to straighten out the horizon or buildings.
Last method is to use a pan/tilt tripod head with a spirit level.

:)

cg171s said:
for example, if you take a picture of landscape with buildings, do you keep it according to the vertical lines of the buildings or keep it according to the horizontal plane of the landscape?

Depends on what you want, really. 'Normal' practice is to use the horizon as your guide, but straight horizons can get boring too. ;) If any particular building is your main subject, try to find a horizontal line on that building as your guide. If you like relying on instrumentation, then consider getting a spirit-level (camera- or tripod-mounted) as suggested above.

Using the Thirds guide grids. Make sure the parralel/horizontal lines are level with those on the grid.

Yes, it's used to determine Thirds. But this is another function I use to guage 'straightness' of the angle. ;p

redstone said:
Using the Thirds guide grids.

Not all cameras have this though.

cg171s said:
hey all, I really need help & inputs from you all.

Here's my problem, I've been shotting with 350d using the kit lens, its a good lense and camera.
but I found that for almost everytime I shoot, it's quite hard to keep my picture straight and not slant.

meeeh.. quite confusing question yeah? :sweat:
I hope someone out there understand it.

looking forward or your replies.
thanks alot

YNWA
IMHO, I prefer horizontal lines of the landscape. That's give good perfective than if you choose vertical lines.

Regards,
Arto.

cool, I got lots of inputs... thanks for sharing you guys :thumbsup:

Cheesecake said:
and You'll Never Walk Alone! :thumbsup:
The future's bright, the future's RED ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.