How to prepare photos for print?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Jan 18, 2002
Hi guys,

Normally after doing the necessary cropping and fine-tuning, how do you guys save the photos to ensure mininal loss in quality?

Tks.

I saved it as Jpeg, max quality, and burn it to CDs. Not sure if it's correct tho.:)

Originally posted by togu
I saved it as Jpeg, max quality, and burn it to CDs. Not sure if it's correct tho.:)

i realised that after i crop my pictures and save them at max quality, the picture's filesize becomes even larger. why is this so? is it becos of the saving quality in photoshop?

Originally posted by jzr

i realised that after i crop my pictures and save them at max quality, the picture's filesize becomes even larger. why is this so? is it becos of the saving quality in photoshop?

Same problem here. This is why I ponder whether I am doing the right thing all this while. :)

I noticed that too, guess it's the compression algorthim used, but didn't really bother about it. In fact, I felt happier since I'm burning it to CD. Sizes does not matter!

:p

Normally jpeg are good enough. Jpeg is a file compression format. Infact it will compensate the image quality for compression.

Thus, it's still not the best format to save your digital work in. The best to use however is TIFF format. The is the highest quality you can save you work on. Quality of image is also dependant on how you resize your image, the scanning source, the settings you use to scan, the file format you choose to use in your digital camera, the resolution of your camera. All these will factor into the results of the digital image.

If you are sending it for printing, I will suggest you to have 2 versions of format. If permissable by the printer's equipment, the best choice would be to use TIFF format.

Yeap i truly agree JPEG is wat it termed as a lossy compression, therefore it will try to figure out what is important to the image and then save it (basically turn the colors to the freq domain and remove the higher frequency component) due to the nature of JPEG the moment u open the picture and then save it the file size will become smaller due to a bit of the image is lost due to compression. If u keep saving the same jpeg picture the quality will deteriorate even though u put at max compression.

Therefore my advice is to use a lossless format like TIFF to save ur originals and then convert to jpeg. png and targa are also good formats. but beware file size maybe quite big.

if printing 4R then all these trouble could be saved
just a normal jpeg file will do
even at 200k

Should I change the image resolution from 72ppi to 200/300 ppi while cropping down the image to 4R ?

don't bother about the number. it doesn't make sense for the lab printers. just send in your highest resolution files and let them handle the printing.

Ok, thanks.

1. When you crop and save, you are recompressing the file. This ratio might be smaller than the original, which is why if you crop then resave, you might end up with a bigger file.

2. Don't bother about the PPI. Doesn't matter if it's 1, 300, or 4000. It varies with print size.

3. Don't bother sending TIFF. Even at 8 x 12", you are not going to see a difference between printing from a TIFF or low compression/high quality JPEG. But if you need to work on the file, save the intermediates in TIFF. Save the final as TIFF. Save a JPEG then send the JPEG to print.

4. The less you worry, the better. Crop, save, send. :)
4a. Better still, go to a good lab, then ask them for either their special "DI" paper, or ask them to do a "FIT" which will print full frame.

Regards
CK

What is the best software to crop the image to 3:2 ratio ?

What is the cropping ratio for 5R ?

Originally posted by ckiang
4a. Better still, go to a good lab, then ask them for either their special "DI" paper, or ask them to do a "FIT" which will print full frame.

Regards
CK

but do me still need to crop to 3:2 b4 me azk them to do a "fit" ..... ?? .....

where can me find a "good" lab ..... ?? .....

:D

everytime after me crop my picz to 3:2 n me go to Image Size ..... me realized that the rezolution will increaze frm 72 to something higher .....

thiz r my settingz when me crop:

width: 3 in
height: 2 in
rezolution: ( left empty ) pixels/inch

did me do something wrong .... ?? ....

y will the rezolution increaze hah ..... ?? ....

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.