How to photograph Rainbows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMediaLuz

Dec 3, 2008
How do you capture the full spectrum of colours from a rainbow?

Saw a rare and nice one sometime on 21st Mar when I was around Bukit Timah area, but when I try to make a shot, usually only one or two colors turned up in the photos - eg. can only see an orange arc instead of the full color spectum. I tried a few different whitebalances, but dont seem to be able to capture what I see. :cry:

Hai...dunno when can see a rainbow in Singapore again...

I'm not sure too, my rainbow captures are mostly proper..

Maybe try metering for the sky, shoot in raw.

I don't remember doing anything special. I just adjusted pic control to vivid and took the shot as per normal.

Last edited:
How do you capture the full spectrum of colours from a rainbow?

Saw a rare and nice one sometime on 21st Mar when I was around Bukit Timah area, but when I try to make a shot, usually only one or two colors turned up in the photos - eg. can only see an orange arc instead of the full color spectum. I tried a few different whitebalances, but dont seem to be able to capture what I see. :cry:

Hai...dunno when can see a rainbow in Singapore again...

normally we just aim n shoot! :)

perhaps u like to show us the image?

Why dont you post your shot. Its might be easier to offer comments and advice after looking at it.

Last edited:
Normally, I'm lazy... I'll just meter at the colours, then shoot, and pump up the saturation in Photoshop :)

But rightfully, you should meter for the greens (grass/trees) since they are close to 18% grey.

:)

Noob question here: if I resort to the Kelvin scale, what setting should I go for? (normally I will first meter the sky )

Use the Kelvin value that is appropriate for your situation :) - The WB setting also depends on the time of the day as light is changing. I suggest you better stick to the generic presets like "Daylight", "Cloudy" etc. Use Kelvin only if you got the exact colour temperature, e.g. when using specific light equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.