How to photograph indoor performance events?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phosphorus

Jan 13, 2009
Hi all,
would like to ask how u'll photograph a performance in places like an auditoriium or a theatre.

I'm facing problems like,
slow shutter due to low lights thus subjects are blur.
flashy lights affect AF, taking a long time to adjust.
and as i'm a canon, the AF assist flash pre-firing is distracting to the audience
can a external flash and low aperture lens solve these?

I'd suggest you getting wide aperture prime lenses like 85/1.8 and stuff like that and using External flash for AF ASSIST ONLY (They use flashes of IR to assist in focus) don't blind the audience and the stage performers ;p

another thing to add, usually the background is dark so it may fool the cam's metering to give you slow shutter speeds.. use spot metering mode and lock it on the subject..

You might not be allowed to use flash in a theatre performance, so an external flash would not solve your problem.

Try to push up the ISO on your camera.

Google is your best friend. Seriously.

Flashes: are generally prohibited in most concerts and auditoriums so you have to go without flash. I wouldn't want someone flashing on me if i'm performing.
Camera: get/rent a camera with high ISO performances typically 5D and above. I usually shoot at iso 4000 for such events
Settings: You shd be on manual mode and prepare to MF if needed due to irregular lighting
Lenses: typically super wide and telephoto zooms with 2.8 aperture (minimum)

Some of my previous shoots (unedited except the obvious captions)
3241076281_a361ffac83.jpg

3249462503_048fc242d3.jpg

3251378587_863ab90773.jpg

3330196253_ca3c0bba6a.jpg

3330182889_e87f201f20.jpg

...using External flash for AF ASSIST ONLY (They use flashes of IR to assist in focus) don't blind the audience and the stage performers ;p

IR is invisible. The light you see from the flash assist is just red light, not infra-red light.

I'd suggest you getting wide aperture prime lenses like 85/1.8 and stuff like that and using External flash for AF ASSIST ONLY (They use flashes of IR to assist in focus) don't blind the audience and the stage performers ;p

how do you use the AF assist ( from ext. flash ) without firing it off?

Does all model of ext. flash have the IR AF assist function or only certain models?

Does all model of ext. flash have the IR AF assist function or only certain models?
IR is for multiple off-camera setups and not for AF assist as stated.

You can set it to "no flash" with a no flash icon and only using AF assist.

you can't do anything with that mode - i'm almost always using manual or aperture priority.

looking to fire the beam from my ext flash without firing off but also maintaining full control over exposure.

you can't do anything with that mode - i'm almost always using manual or aperture priority.

looking to fire the beam from my ext flash without firing off but also maintaining full control over exposure.

Oh yes it can, for my Sony HVL 42 & 58AM that is. And i'm also shooting aperture priority ;)

Okay no flash but if it is allow and for not distracting the performers can use in situation when pointing the unit up for bounch off effects. There is a limit to your flash's range though.

Check your camera manual. There is a custom function that says "flash does not fire".

sorry, can i post another Q? i m newbie too. how to capture moving object indoor (flourocent lighting condition? eg:badminton match with frenz. i tried iso500, f5.0, speed 1/5 but photo still blur even when i asked my frenz to go slow motion:confused: will external flash help, so that i could increase the speed?

shoot when got light.

compensate with EV.

Noise Ninja.

sorry, can i post another Q? i m newbie too. how to capture moving object indoor (flourocent lighting condition? eg:badminton match with frenz. i tried iso500, f5.0, speed 1/5 but photo still blur even when i asked my frenz to go slow motion:confused: will external flash help, so that i could increase the speed?
practice Tv mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.