How to photograph indoor performance events?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry, can i post another Q? i m newbie too. how to capture moving object indoor (flourocent lighting condition? eg:badminton match with frenz. i tried iso500, f5.0, speed 1/5 but photo still blur even when i asked my frenz to go slow motion:confused: will external flash help, so that i could increase the speed?

You can already hear and feel how slow 1/5s is on your camera. What makes you think you will get results that are not blurred?

You can push the ISO up even further, but you will still need a lens with a large aperture opening. Flash will help in freezing a particular moment of the movement.

thanks for all the tips and comments. will practice more!:embrass:

How is it no one has said to check your WB first.
What lights are used in the theater? Spots, tungsten, incandesance?
Shoot a few frames and see what the image looks like so you know how to adjust the WB. Flash setting might work but if you are too far away from the subject it won't be effective, or you may not be allowed to use flash.
Set your contrast / saturation levels, 'standard' worked well on my D 700 when I last shot such a theatriical performance. I was about 50 feet or more from the subject.
You will also up your ISO, I do not know what equipment you use but the higher the ISO the more grain you get and most cameras get grainy at ISO of 800 and up. The D 700 and maybe the Canon 5D can do better. I shot at ISO 2000 at that time.
If you can use a tripod do so, if not then a monopod and if not make sure you have a VR lens.
Many will say shoot at F 2.8 or faster that is OK if you do not need the depth of field, if you do need that then you have to shoot at F 5.6 or 8, you can do this at higher ISO. Higher ISO will also let you shoot at 1/60 or 1/125 so less chance of motion blur and time your shots and try to press your shutter when there is a short pause.
I used the Nikon 28-70 F 2.8 and the Nikon 80-400 VR. Most of the time I shot with the bigger lens because I was that far away from the subject.

just my 2 cents worth and I hope that helps.

eb

Status
Not open for further replies.