how to photograph aircrafts?


Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcake

New Member
Jul 16, 2004
68
0
0
The Western Frontiers
#1
I'll be going to the rehearsal national day parade this weekend. Can someone please tell me what the optimal/ideal settings/specs would be for me to take photos of the passing chinooks over the stadium.

I'll be using a Nikon F100. Lens is 28-200. I have no other accessories. Time will be approx 1900 hours. Err... is 200 speed fuji film ok? Are there any other factors I should know? I've never taken night time photos either (except for my p&s ones in the past).

Hope to hear from someone SOON!
 

nickmak

Senior Member
Apr 16, 2004
2,358
0
0
31
London, UK
www.pbase.com
#2
shortcake said:
I'll be going to the rehearsal national day parade this weekend. Can someone please tell me what the optimal/ideal settings/specs would be for me to take photos of the passing chinooks over the stadium.

I'll be using a Nikon F100. Lens is 28-200. I have no other accessories. Time will be approx 1900 hours. Err... is 200 speed fuji film ok? Are there any other factors I should know? I've never taken night time photos either (except for my p&s ones in the past).

Hope to hear from someone SOON!
Because 200mm is not enough, you can always buy a 500 - 600mm lens to shoot! :bsmilie:
 

shortcake

New Member
Jul 16, 2004
68
0
0
The Western Frontiers
#3
:cry: :cry: :cry:

200mm isn't even enough for the chinook helicoptors? they won't be as high in the sky like the F16's and A4's. I'm more interested in the chinooks...
 

sumball

Senior Member
Jul 8, 2003
4,333
0
0
#4
any ideas if i could bring a monopod into the stadium during the NDP? anyone? thanks.
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,857
14
38
really MORE diaper changes
#5
think a minimum of 300mm and above would be best. if u taking pics using film, chances are u have to use at least ISO400 film becos ur flash would be useless. a tripod is a must, whether film or digital.

i took some pics at nat stadium b4, long time ago with a P&S. think the best place to sit to catch the planes is the grandstand side of the stadium becos the planes and choppers are approaching from the sea (marina bay, i think). if u can get near the stadium, i think the next nearest place to take is at the esplande?

oh yeah, sumball. someone else asked whether monopods are allowed. i think the answer from someone is yes.... unless u want to attack someone with it? :bsmilie: i see you bought ur mono?
 

shortcake

New Member
Jul 16, 2004
68
0
0
The Western Frontiers
#6
Oh crap! I'll just have to make do... :(

This year there will be three chinooks!

Thanks for the responses. At least I know what to expect and not be too optimistic about the outcome.

What's a monopod? sounds lethal...
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,857
14
38
really MORE diaper changes
#7
shortcake said:
Oh crap! I'll just have to make do... :(

This year there will be three chinooks!

Thanks for the responses. At least I know what to expect and not be too optimistic about the outcome.

What's a monopod? sounds lethal...
tripod - 3 legs.
monopod - 1 leg. :D
 

sumball

Senior Member
Jul 8, 2003
4,333
0
0
#9
lol :bsmilie:

MONO - ONE
POD - POD!!!

yup nightwolf, i got mine the night after i chk the price with her, tot i told u... :think: :D

when will you be getting yours?

u sure cna bring in or not? later cannot, then i dunno where to put my pod liao.

so far as i know, i cant bring can drinks or even those long umbrella into the stadium.

anyone else?
 

sumball

Senior Member
Jul 8, 2003
4,333
0
0
#10
nightwolf75 said:
someone else asked whether monopods are allowed. i think the answer from someone is yes....
can refer me to that place please?
thnks
 

sumball

Senior Member
Jul 8, 2003
4,333
0
0
#12
shortcake said:
excuse my ignorance, but why would a tripod be allowed, but a monopod not be allowed? three legs better than one? :confused:
tripod is allowed in the stadium w/o permission? i didnt know that. :dunno:
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,857
14
38
really MORE diaper changes
#13
sumball - try this http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=85495

i still thinking whether to get. i use tripod more often than monos. i might get one, if i start helping frens do their wedding shoots in church.

shortcake - no worries! :D people are usually more familar with tripods becos dats wat we normally get - sometimes bundled as a free gift with cams. monopods are not dat common, at least for me. i seldom see any CSer taking it out for shoots. mebbe the macro lovers, i dunno.
 

Jun 21, 2004
212
0
0
#15
hehehe....you may be mistaken for being an Al-Qaeda member....taking pictures of military aircraft.... ;) ;) ;) ;)

shortcake said:
I'll be going to the rehearsal national day parade this weekend. Can someone please tell me what the optimal/ideal settings/specs would be for me to take photos of the passing chinooks over the stadium.

I'll be using a Nikon F100. Lens is 28-200. I have no other accessories. Time will be approx 1900 hours. Err... is 200 speed fuji film ok? Are there any other factors I should know? I've never taken night time photos either (except for my p&s ones in the past).

Hope to hear from someone SOON!
 

sumball

Senior Member
Jul 8, 2003
4,333
0
0
#16
nightwolf75 said:
sumball - try this http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=85495

i still thinking whether to get. i use tripod more often than monos. i might get one, if i start helping frens do their wedding shoots in church.

shortcake - no worries! :D people are usually more familar with tripods becos dats wat we normally get - sometimes bundled as a free gift with cams. monopods are not dat common, at least for me. i seldom see any CSer taking it out for shoots. mebbe the macro lovers, i dunno.
buy buy buy!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:D
 

shortcake

New Member
Jul 16, 2004
68
0
0
The Western Frontiers
#17
sumball said:
tripod is allowed in the stadium w/o permission? i didnt know that. :dunno:
I was just making an assumption cos nightwolf75 mentioned that a tripod is a must for this kind of shot...

nightwolf75 - I'll be facing the grandstand. That'll mean I'll have to make a 180 degree turn followed by a 90 degree tilt up :what: wish me luck...
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,857
14
38
really MORE diaper changes
#19
shortcake said:
I was just making an assumption cos nightwolf75 mentioned that a tripod is a must for this kind of shot...

nightwolf75 - I'll be facing the grandstand. That'll mean I'll have to make a 180 degree turn followed by a 90 degree tilt up :what: wish me luck...
a tripod is a must it gives more stability in this kind of shooting. since u using ISO200 film in low-light, u need to open up ur aperture and lower the shutter speed (mebbe 1/60 or even lower...) ISO 200 is not that good for low-light. at low shutter speeds, u'll get blur pics becos of hand-shakes.


ermmmm.... dun break ur neck trying to catch the planes flying over u hor??? :sweat: mebbe can try sneaking to the other end of the stadium??? heehee... anyway, the chinooks fly so slowly u'll most probably have a easy time shooting them. ;)
 

shortcake

New Member
Jul 16, 2004
68
0
0
The Western Frontiers
#20
Not to worry, I'm taking 400 speed film as advised. Please let the skies be clear!

For those of you going, see you there! I'll be the one in the bright red t-shirt :cheergal: :bsmilie:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom