HOW to partition WinXP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kho King

Jan 20, 2002
shashinki.com
I just bought my own notebook. System inside is WinXP. Hard disk is 40GB. I would like to partition it to C: 25GB, D:15GB. How? Currently all space are in C: 40GB.

Last night, I accidentally change the BASIC DISK to DYNAMIC DISK.

Do I need to reformat everything?

Please guide...many many thanks!

Administrative tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management(local)

sorry, can't advise you on the dynamic and basic type qns

hi simon,
thanks for replying. I have managed to figure out till Disk Management, but then don't know how to proceed from there. All space are currently assigned to C:, and I can't create extended volumn at the C:. When tried to create new volumn, only 7MB is available... :( My hardisk is new...still got more than 30GB empty :dunno:

Kho King said:
hi simon,
thanks for replying. I have managed to figure out till Disk Management, but then don't know how to proceed from there. All space are currently assigned to C:, and I can't create extended volumn at the C:. When tried to create new volumn, only 7MB is available... :( My hardisk is new...still got more than 30GB empty :dunno:

since all the bytes have been assigned to ur c drive..there is nothing much u can do with the disk management featuer in win xp.

2 ways to repartition them.
- format and reinstall ur laptop
- install and 3rd part software like "partition magic" and partition from the c drive itself.

I think it would be better of you start 'new'. FDISK your hard disk and create the partition that you wanted. Format the drive and then install Win XP. This will eliminate any errors that may occur later.

Kho King said:
hi simon,

Hi Kho King,

If I am not wrong, you will have to use a 3rd party software like Partition Magic to "split" your already single partition harddisk. Unless you want to re-install your OS, you will be allowed to specify your partition size....

You can only create extended volume if you have unuse/unpartitioned disk space......

Dynamic disk basically allows you to be able to extend an existing volume, create spanned volume and create stripped volume......

I may be wrong, any experts out there can confirm??

At least your harddisk is still new... any major change will not have major impact to your data....... :)

thanks guys! :)

So, should I stick to basic disk or dynamic disk?

ok...reformating and repartitioning the hardisk now...thanks guys :)

Windows Xp cd has the feature to partition harddisk before installing the OS onto it.

Kho King said:
ok...reformating and repartitioning the hardisk now...thanks guys :)

I just repartition and installed my WinXP using the supplied CD. However, when I restart the notebook, it shows TWO WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL there! I thought I have reformatted the disk and will have only ONE WinXP?

Please help... :(

Kho King said:
I just repartition and installed my WinXP using the supplied CD. However, when I restart the notebook, it shows TWO WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL there! I thought I have reformatted the disk and will have only ONE WinXP?

Please help... :(

Do u mean when starting up... it gives u 2 Windows XP option to start to?? It is normal.... the 2nd 1 is something lie "safe mode" with less drivers loaded.....

To check.... In windows go to control panel->System Properties->Advanced-> Startup and Recovery..... U will be able to see what the 2 options actually point to......

Hope this helps

hi Choon Huat,
When I choose the second winXP, it can't be loaded and say some file missing.

Kho King said:
hi Choon Huat,

Hmm....
If you have deleted all partition and recreated the partition for your new installation.... you shouldn't have any residual files in your system.....

Have you check the startup settings in control panel? It should tell you what the 2nd option is pointing to....
If you want to keep it simple.... just delete the 2nd entry in the startup settings...... :D

hi choon huat.
thanks very much! Yes, the problem lies within the startup boot.ini file. I deleted the extra partition line and now no more boot start up dialog.

now I am a happy man :) two partitions and start installing my stuff :D

I'm just thinking that it might be that you did not delete the previous partition of the windows xp OS from your system. Instead, you install windows xp on top of your previous windows xp system. Which you now have 2 and it's normal to have that.

For full installation of your windows xp. Follow this if u want to.

*remember, always backup any important data on your system if possible

1.) All Word/excel documents, it'll always be saved in "My Documents" in your profile. (Unless otherwise that you saved it in other directories yourself)
2.) Outlook Express to save all the *.dbx files available.
3.) Microsoft Outlook to save any *.pst files created
4.) Remember to save your Internet Explorer favourites (Most people forget this too often)

Basically, that should be about all you need to necessary backup.

Next, put in your OS cd. Will be prompted with black screen:

1.) "Press any key to boot from cd" (Setup will start to laod files)
2.) When being prompted a bluescreen with 3 options, press "ENTER" to proceed in installation of windows xp
3.) press F8 to agree with terms & condition
4.) From here, will be prompted to press R for repair or Esc to escape, press "ESC" to escape & not repair xp
5.) From here, you will see your C:\windows at the bottom etc etc partition etc.
6.) Seeing that C: or D: (or any other partitions you have created) press "D" for delete & have all existing partitions deleted. (You have to press in sequence to delete the partition, if I'm not wrong, press "D" first, follow by pressing "ENTER", then press "L" to have a partition deleted)
7.) After all partitions are deleted, u will go back to main screen & will not see any C: or D: partitions here. Prompted 2 options, press "ENTER" to start installing windows or press "C" to create partition. Press "C" in this case. Have all necessary partitions created, then press "Enter" on 1 of the partition to have windows installed in it.
8.) You will then be prompted to choose: (depending on system)
*note: by the way, u won't see the normal word, I just indicate for your knowledge.

1.) Format system using NTFS (Quick: fast format normally takes approx 5 - 10 secs)
2.) Format system using NTFS (Normal: normally takes very long depending on your harddisk size as it's doing a full format)
3.) Format system using FAT (Quick)
4.) Format system using FAT

After choosing one of it, it'll start to format & install your OS. And you just proceed on & your system will be fine.

Hope all these information helps.

Kho King said:
hi Choon Huat,

If you did perform a fresh installation of windows xp OS, u will not have such "string value" in your boot.ini file.

Kho King said:
hi choon huat.
thanks very much! Yes, the problem lies within the startup boot.ini file. I deleted the extra partition line and now no more boot start up dialog.

I don't know what happen, but I do follow the delete partition, and create partitions procedures. I chose full format using ntsf, and it takes quite long time to format.

Thanks again. :)

Kho King said:
hi choon huat.

no problem... glad that you have overcome the problem..... :)

Shouldn't have 2 options to choose while booting after fresh installation. You can check up more details regarding windows xp. If there's 2 options for which windows xp to choose, mostly due to installing windows xp on top of windows xp.

Kho King said:
I don't know what happen, but I do follow the delete partition, and create partitions procedures. I chose full format using ntsf, and it takes quite long time to format.

Thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.