How to overcome CF card storage problem? Advice needed…

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you are getting Digimate, can search for PPCP in Mass Order, they are selling the Digimate III which has external battery. I feel that thats a good way if you want to travel light. But of course, maybe bring along 3gb worth of card rotate around so that in a day, if you dont need, dont have to use the portable harddisk. Do it back at the hotel and after transfer, check it with the hotel's computer to ensure file copy.

I have a Hyperdrive with an 80GB HD limit. That is the worlds fastest together with Extreme III CF and works very well. It came with 8 pcs 2500ma/h batteries (4 needed in the unit), car and mains charger. The charging circuit is built into the unit. The casing is aluminium, relatively small and very nice quality. No viewing display, but who needs that? Those can't handle RAW anyway.

the Hyperdrive is a repackaged unit for sale in North America of the very popular PD70X available in Singapore and most of the world through their dealer Eastgear or in various other shops in Funan and SimLim

yeah best to get an OTG external casing with hdd so that u can transfer your pics to the hdd...Digimate II or III is a good choice...had used Digimate II, now getting version III (looks slicker then version II lah)...

I would recommend the Vosonic 8360. It can come with a 2.5" Hard disk drive with up to 120GB storage, 3.5" LCD screen for viewing and coverts RAW images. Also acts as a MP3/4 player, allows video feedback, play games, etc. etc. Cost for one with 120 GB is about $700. Available from Eastgear in Peninsula Plaza, 2nd. floor. Size is a little larger than a PDA and weighs only a few ounces.:)

syl said:
... 3.5" LCD screen for viewing and coverts RAW images...
Which RAW? :dunno:

For all camera brands? :nono:

OlyFlyer said:
Which RAW? :dunno:

For all camera brands? :nono:

for the EPSON P-2/4000 series, it is confirmed that they can read Canon raw files.

Bring a MacBook/Pro and a Epson P2000 along. Done!

Bring more batteries too!!

Bringing macpro, PD70x along for the trip and some dvds for back up copies and keeping my fingers crossed for the rest. I did run into some problems while visiting infocomm at funan center. They sold me an opened packaged PD70x, with scratches all over with problems with the CF card reader.

Couldn't negotiate for a full refund, had to settle for another 'new' unit instead. Am I the only one with a bad experience from buying the PD70x or does the problem lie with the store and not the manufacturer?

Horsba85 said:
for the EPSON P-2/4000 series, it is confirmed that they can read Canon raw files.
I believe they can only read the embedded jpeg preview of the image (according to their website "RAW - Select DSLR (display JPEG stored in header)"), not the actual RAW as they don't have the processing power to process the RAW...

if have prob with PD70x, bring to their distributer, Eastgear, on second floor of Peninsular Plaza...:)

theRBK said:
I believe they can only read the embedded jpeg preview of the image (according to their website "RAW - Select DSLR (display JPEG stored in header)"), not the actual RAW as they don't have the processing power to process the RAW...

if have prob with PD70x, bring to their distributer, Eastgear, on second floor of Peninsular Plaza...:)
The Epson P2000 is good, the screen is NO FIGHT :thumbsup:

true...

just note the RAW comment from my earlier post :)

Hi,

Not sure where you are going. But a cheap alternative is to borrow more CF cards from friends.

In an emergency and you happen to be in a big city where there are photo deve shop, you can just backup all your photos into a CD rom.

I am sure most of the hotel or backpacker hotel have this facilities, check with them before you go. Don't buy too many unnecessary device that when might not need in a mormal days when you come back and left unused.

Good luck.

Yayne said:
Bringing macpro, PD70x along for the trip and some dvds for back up copies and keeping my fingers crossed for the rest. I did run into some problems while visiting infocomm at funan center. They sold me an opened packaged PD70x, with scratches all over with problems with the CF card reader.

Couldn't negotiate for a full refund, had to settle for another 'new' unit instead. Am I the only one with a bad experience from buying the PD70x or does the problem lie with the store and not the manufacturer?

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I think it was just an isolated incident just at that store. I bought my PD70X from EastGear and did not have any problem or whatsoever.

It seems you are pretty much set in the storage department for your trip. Do not forget to bring at least a spare set of AA batteries for the CompactDrive for those long shooting days.

Status
Not open for further replies.