How to off the red light on my flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
Sometimes want to take candid shots but ppl always notice my red focusing light.
And when i want to take speakers speaking, they feel irritated by it.

So how do i off it?
If i off it, what will it affect and bring about any disadvantages?
Do you off yours?

switch off flash and pump ISO as well as put on the fastest lens possible. If allow to get up close or right in front then the 50mm F/1.8 is very cheap and good.

takes a while to get the settings right but depends mostly where you will be to select the correct lens.

u mean the red light cannot be switched off?
maybe i paste a sticker over it? but tat will affect metering right?

u mean the red light cannot be switched off?
maybe i paste a sticker over it? but tat will affect metering right?

Check custom function. The red light, if this is like Canon flash, is only for focusing. It helps your camera AF faster / more accurately.

If they're irritated by red light, won't they be super irritated by the flash?

Check custom function. The red light, if this is like Canon flash, is only for focusing. It helps your camera AF faster / more accurately.

If they're irritated by red light, won't they be super irritated by the flash?

I think he is saying abit Nikon system, if be done by disabling the AF assist. :)

That red light is the AF assist (or AF illuminator). You can disable it in the menu I think (not too sure since I don't use Nikon anymore).

base on SB800, for the AF assist illuminator can be turn off by setting the flash custom function, however, your camera may activate the camera AF assist illuminator when it sense low light.

if you deactivate both, and the ambient light is too low, you won't be able to do auto focus properly.

i mean the red light that comes from the external flash unit

That's still the AF assist illuminator, must be a way to disable it. Try your user's manual?

You will also risk red eye on your subjects in low light conditions when that red light is not working and your flash fires.

i mean the red light that comes from the external flash unit

Exactly which flash unit are you using? You need to enter the Menu of the flash to switch it off.

This red light is called AF Assist Illuminator. As what catchlights has said, it is very useful in low light conditions. Think twice before you turn it off.

If you turn the red light off, your cam may use it's illuminator. See the yellow bulb?

If you decide turn of both lights, then there is high chance your lens will hunt.

if you shoot indoor candids just be quick and decide the framing and click the shutter. If you forget to turn your af assist on and there is not enough light you will miss the shot altogether.

Hey guys, I've used a 430EX before, and the AF assist lamp blinks non-stop at like once every 2 seconds. It wasnt my camera but I figured any way I knew and couldn't turn it off. Or actually I wanted it to be off and only activated when press the shutter button (like PNS) is there anyway to achieve this?

Sometimes want to take candid shots but ppl always notice my red focusing light.
And when i want to take speakers speaking, they feel irritated by it.

So how do i off it?
If i off it, what will it affect and bring about any disadvantages?
Do you off yours?

answering your questions, you can off it by turning off the af assist light function in the menu of the flash.

if you off af assist, your lens will have a hard time focusing or might not even able to focus under low light condition especially if you are not using the big aperature lens.

And no, there is no reason for me to off my AF assist.

If your guest find it annoying with that little red light, then dont offer to shoot. If it is a pay job they should have know focusing light is always there, and flash is needed in low light conditions for proper exposure, if they dont want flash, then ask for proper lightings to be set up, or you have to give them failure shots with silouette faces.

For candids, just use big aperature lens without flash, af assist or the flash will prove hard to get a candid shot.

Hey guys, I've used a 430EX before, and the AF assist lamp blinks non-stop at like once every 2 seconds. It wasnt my camera but I figured any way I knew and couldn't turn it off. Or actually I wanted it to be off and only activated when press the shutter button (like PNS) is there anyway to achieve this?

i dont think it function normally that way, i dont remember seeing my 580exII doing that when i was using canon. by the way you should start your own post, not very polite to hijack others thread.

i dont think it function normally that way, i dont remember seeing my 580exII doing that when i was using canon. by the way you should start your own post, not very polite to hijack others thread.

My apologies, thanks for the comment anyway.

read the manual of the SB-600, under custom settings.

it falls under the 2 button operations part of the manual.

you can turn off the AF assist of the SB-600 (which is the big red crosshairs coming from the front red portion of the speedlight) from there.

Apart from highjacking a Nikon thread with Canon-related questions ... this 2s blinking indicates that the flash is in slave mode and ready to fire upon command from master unit. Flip the "slave" switch above the shoe to "off".

Status
Not open for further replies.