How to not appear CONSPICUOUS when Candid Shooting in Streets of SG


Status
Not open for further replies.

spilot

New Member
May 4, 2002
98
0
0
55
Jurong West Extension
Visit site
Hi All & Greeings to Seniors,

How can I not look conspicuous with a bulky SLR with verticle grip and zoom lens and a large Lowe bag by my side ?

I don't understand why people in SG here are so camera shy, or photographer unfriendly. I'd like to know if shooting candid shots of people is like shooting wildlife ? ie : make a hideout, stick your lens out a smal cutout, and wait ?

Regards,

CJ
 

ckiang

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
6,405
0
36
47
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Originally posted by spilot
Hi All & Greeings to Seniors,

How can I not look conspicuous with a bulky SLR with verticle grip and zoom lens and a large Lowe bag by my side ?

I don't understand why people in SG here are so camera shy, or photographer unfriendly. I'd like to know if shooting candid shots of people is like shooting wildlife ? ie : make a hideout, stick your lens out a smal cutout, and wait ?

Regards,

CJ
1. Remove that battery grip, use a wide angle prime (e.g. 20 ~ 28mm), don't even use the bag if you can.

2. Once you have a superwide (e.g. 20mm), you can now shoot from the hip, and people won't know.

3. Use a smaller camera. The Ricoh GR1V comes to mind.

4. Use a Coolpix 9xx series digital camera. The swivel lens allows you to shoot from the waist, and yet let you compose your picture while looking as if you are adjusting controls (and not taking a picture).

5. Move fast, anticipate moments.

It's not just in Singapore. When I was in China last week, people either turned away when they spot me with my SLR or gesture at me not to take photos of them. No such problems when I shoot with my Coolpix. :)

Of coz, the other route is to actually ask for permission to shoot.

Regards
CK
 

spilot

New Member
May 4, 2002
98
0
0
55
Jurong West Extension
Visit site
Hi CK,

Thanks for the tips, I wasn't thinking in candid I guesss... hehehe

Well, last time I asked a snake charmer for permission to shoot him with snake around his neck, he said: " .. err.. S$5.00 please.."

Now, how do we beat this one ???


Regards,

CJ
 

spilot

New Member
May 4, 2002
98
0
0
55
Jurong West Extension
Visit site
... after having beaten the snakey charmer up and taking his photo... I'd also have mine taken at a later stage - called a Police mug shot.


heeheheeeeeeeee
 

ckiang

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
6,405
0
36
47
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Originally posted by spilot
Hi CK,

Thanks for the tips, I wasn't thinking in candid I guesss... hehehe

Well, last time I asked a snake charmer for permission to shoot him with snake around his neck, he said: " .. err.. S$5.00 please.."

Now, how do we beat this one ???

Regards,
CJ
2 options:

1. Forget it, and don't shoot. Giving him money encourages him to collect more money from fellow photographers.

2. Give him the money and get your pic. But that encourages him to collect more money from fellow photographers.

It's your choice. Some pros does not advocate tipping the subject for that very reason.

Regards
CK
 

spilot

New Member
May 4, 2002
98
0
0
55
Jurong West Extension
Visit site
Well CK,

Thanks fer the mindful tips, you're right bout that - and no I did not take that charmer's photo and I did not then gave him a tip.

I walked on....

Personally, I am trying to brush up on my people shooting skills. I am just ok ( would not dare say good ) at inert sbjects - landscapes, stills, and stuff ..... even junk and derelicts.

Regards,

CJ
 

ckiang

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
6,405
0
36
47
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Originally posted by spilot
Well CK,

Thanks fer the mindful tips, you're right bout that - and no I did not take that charmer's photo and I did not then gave him a tip.

I walked on....

Personally, I am trying to brush up on my people shooting skills. I am just ok ( would dare say good ) at inert sbjects - landscapes, stills, and stuff ..... even junk and derelicts.

Regards,

CJ
Same here. I am actually better at things like scenics and landscapes. Street photography is not easy, it takes more than just snapping a pic. It has to tell a story. Still learning the skills myself. ;)

Regards
CK
 

Klause

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,417
0
0
36
Bedok
Visit site
Sometime you can try reverse way.

Bring your largest SLR, add a battery grip, bring all the necessary gear, take out your largest lense... and they will think you are some photographer from ST and won't shooo u away. Never tried it before, but heard from someone that it works. So either you act as if you are SUPER unprofessional or SUPER professional. Either way might work.

P.S: If you get beaten up or your camera is 'destroyed' by the subject, please do not come to find me... ;p
 

spilot

New Member
May 4, 2002
98
0
0
55
Jurong West Extension
Visit site
Hi Klause,

I have actually gone into Desker Road back alley (two months back), camera, gear bag and all that , squeezed off a few shots, and made it out alive.

Of course, not without a bit of running .... if you know what I mean....

I checked with a Police frend of mine, and he said I was dern lucky, or that the moon and the stars were in my favor that evening... for I could have been made a pulp, and property destroyed.

so, that's how crazy I am.... err.. but I can't and am forbidden to post any of those shots in here.. "courteous" warning from my Policeman friend.


Regards,

CJ
 

Klause

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,417
0
0
36
Bedok
Visit site
I think it is Legal to post it here. As long as you dont post anything degrading about it. At most they can just ask you to pull it down, which you will probably do so, but even if you don't, they can do nothing to you.

And it is highly unlikely that you will violate a law if they didnt warn you. I think it is required to give at least 1 warning.

Post Post Post ! ;p
 

Mudpool

New Member
Apr 30, 2002
117
0
0
Lakeside & Suzhou-China
er... I don't think spilot is worried whether it's legal, more worried that the people from desker rd will knock on his door... :eek: :eek:
 

spilot

New Member
May 4, 2002
98
0
0
55
Jurong West Extension
Visit site
.... BINGO !!

JackPot deduction !

Yes, I agreed and intuitively know they're watching out for my photos....

No harm if I dn't display them... hehehehee
 

Klause

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,417
0
0
36
Bedok
Visit site
Originally posted by spilot
.... BINGO !!

JackPot deduction !

Yes, I agreed and intuitively know they're watching out for my photos....

No harm if I dn't display them... hehehehee
You mean you sign up membership @ desker so they know your address?

orrrr.. now i know all your dark secret.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.