How to network Desktop and Notebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorinser220

Feb 19, 2003
Hoping to get some help from some of you guys.

I recently bought a Acer Notebook and I've got it all configured and installed all the software already.:)

How do I transfer files from my Desktop (abt 800MB) to my laptop.:dunno: I thought of burning the data onto CD-R and transferring but was hoping to find another way.

BTW, the Desktop is running on Windows 98SE and the Notebook is on Windows XP Pro.

Use a crossed RJ45 LAN cable to transfer the files :) Cheap cheap nia :) Can setup up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) so that you can access the net using your notebook :)

Thanks newbie 123. Is there a difference btwn a crossed RJ45 cable and a normal RJ45 cable?

As for the ICS, do you mean that I can access internet from my notebook through the RJ45 cable connected to my desktop?

Originally posted by lorinser220
Thanks newbie 123. Is there a difference btwn a crossed RJ45 cable and a normal RJ45 cable?

As for the ICS, do you mean that I can access internet from my notebook through the RJ45 cable connected to my desktop?

The difference between a normal and crossed RJ45 is the arrangement of cable strands at the connectors.

Yes, if you have Internet Connection Sharing, you'll be able to use the net on both systems.
There are 3rd party softwares, but Win XP has its own ICS built-in.
Although there are some disadvantages, but heck, it's built in, so I don't have to install additional s/w.

But if you want to use your Desktop as the 'internet gateway', you'll have to install some other app (unless you upgrade to XP, that is.)

Thanks SNAG. I get it now. The only thing is, which is better: crossed RJ45 cable or normal RJ45 cable. And if I were to use a normal RJ45 cable will it work?

Crossed RJ45 a.k.a. UTP5 or CAT5 cables are for PC to PC whilst straight (normal) cables are for PC to router if I'm not wrong. (or is it vice versa?) :embrass: :dunno:

Cat5 or Cat5E is the cable specification. UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair) is the cable type. RJ45 is the connector for the cable. :)

In general, a crossed UTP cable is for PC-to-PC, switch-to-switch, hub-to-hub or even router-to-router.

A straight UTP cable is for PC-to-switch, PC-to-hub or PC-router.

Originally posted by AJ23
Cat5 or Cat5E is the cable specification. UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair) is the cable type. RJ45 is the connector for the cable. :)

In general, a crossed UTP cable is for PC-to-PC, switch-to-switch, hub-to-hub or even router-to-router.

A straight UTP cable is for PC-to-switch, PC-to-hub or PC-router.

Thanks for the info.:D

Okie, thanks a lot guys. Looks like I'll be making a trip to Sim Lim to get the crossed UTP cable.

Anyone know the estimated price?

there is no which one is better, it's the equipment available to you.

To link 2 PC, the simplest will be to install a network card on each PC and use a crossed UTP cable to link between them.

Alternatively, also install a network card on each PC, use a straight UTP from each PC and connect them to a switch or hub.

Obviously, the 1st solution is cheaper but not scalable. If u need to share things or connection on more than 2 PC, u'll need to use the 2nd solution, ie use a switch or hub.

Thanks SNAG. I get it now. The only thing is, which is better: crossed RJ45 cable or normal RJ45 cable. And if I were to use a normal RJ45 cable will it work?

the cable should be around $1 per metre, and each connector should be around $1 each. So a 1 meter crossed or straight UTP cable should start at around $3 or so. Add $1 per metre thereafter. This is generally speaking, do check out the price at either SLS or Funan IT Mall.

Okie, thanks a lot guys. Looks like I'll be making a trip to Sim Lim to get the crossed UTP cable.

Anyone know the estimated price?

Thanks AJ23, that certainly cleared things up.

Just one last question. Will there be any probs since one of the PC is running on 98SE and the other XP Pro?

No, there shouldn't be much of a problem. But one thing is important, make sure u got the correct cable. Got a fren need a crossed UTP, go to the shop and ask for a network cable, but end up with a straight. :)

So make sure u tell the shop u need the CROSSED UTP cable of the desired length. Also, most of them might not stock crossed UTP of certain length, so u might need to wait a little while they terminate the cable.

Thanks AJ23, that certainly cleared things up.

Just one last question. Will there be any probs since one of the PC is running on 98SE and the other XP Pro?

Okie, thanks for the advice AJ23. I'll be sure to get the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.