How to make the photo in black and white form with only a certain area in color?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkwhistler

Jan 26, 2006
Telok Blangah Drive
hi guys ..
i'm kindda new to tis digital darkroom thingy..
only know how to do a few basic things ..
recently during my school's orientation..
i took a photo of a person with 3 strips of paint on her cheek ..
yeah.. so i would lyk to know if there is anyway i can make the whole photo in black and white form with only the 3 strips in the original color ..
thanks alot guys ..
happy lunar new yr to all ..
cheers =)

create a duplicate layer. Convert the duplicate layer to BnW and use the eraser to "remove" the BnW parts you want in colour. You're essentially removing the BnW top layer, revealing the coloured layer below.

Stoned said:
create a duplicate layer. Convert the duplicate layer to BnW and use the eraser to "remove" the BnW parts you want in colour. You're essentially removing the BnW top layer, revealing the coloured layer below.
thanks alot.. certainly 'll try it out .. thanks once again

or

- duplicate layer
- lasso the areas you want colour to remain in
- Goto 'Select' -> 'Inverse'
- Goto 'Layer' -> 'New Adjustment Layer' -> 'Hue/Saturation' -> set saturation level to -100

if u dun want/dun have PS, you can use picasa 2 from google... got one special function, super easy, makes the photo bw, and u can choose the are u want color:) good enuf for me most of the time.

thanks alot ppl .. but any idea wad lasson means.. it was suggested by foxtwo.. yupp .. thanks

darkwhistler said:
thanks alot ppl .. but any idea wad lasson means.. it was suggested by foxtwo.. yupp .. thanks

if you're using PS, lasso tool keyboard shortcut is (L). select by clicking and dragging to a shape. Set feather to 1pixel and check anti-alias.

you then go about selecting freehand the bits you want selected. but don't fret, you don't have to select all the bits at one go.
- firstly zoom in to 200%-300% depending how small/large the bits are.
- select as much as you can at one go don't worry about mistakes.
- you can add more bits to the selection by holding down the 'shift' key
- you can also subtract bits from the selection by holding down the 'alt' key
- check that you haven't missed out any bits

Advanced lesson: ;p
now, if you're scared to lose the selection, you can save it.
- at the layers palette (F7)
- click on 'Channels'
- at the bottom there are 4 icons, choose the 2nd one from the left. tooltip reads as 'Save selection as channel'.
- if/when you lose the selection, just click & drag 'Alpha 1' to the 1st icon. 'Load channel as selection'

if you have actually followed this far, you might want to go read up on 'Quick Mask Mode (Q)' because Quick Mask & channels begin to inter-link.
Quick Mask is another way of selection where instead of the lasso tool, you use a paint brush to 'paint' the bits. A bit more complicated but fast once you get the steps.

RtOaNn said:
i find that the Quick Mask method is more accurate esp for small areas.

i agree.:thumbsup:
btw, extract command is useful also to cut-out image frm background. go filter>extract..:thumbsup:

Usually what I do is create a layer of black and white and another layer of colour. Then I just put the colour layer under the black and white layer. After that just erase the black and white layer so the colour layer will be exposed.

AngelZhou said:
Usually what I do is create a layer of black and white and another layer of colour. Then I just put the colour layer under the black and white layer. After that just erase the black and white layer so the colour layer will be exposed.

urs is the same as what Stoned explained earlier. this is actually the fastest way.

but i usually go with foxtwo technique :thumbsup: . simply because u can save the selection later. you'll do this often once u appreciate this technique.:sticktong

I prefer using a Channel Mixer adjustment layer to do the BW conversion...just make your selection, create a Channel Mixer adjustment layer, set to monochrome, and then adjust how much each colour channel contributes to the final BW conversion... try it out for better control over your conversion... you will be able to create BW images that are more luminous and 3D...

hi every1,
came across this thread.me newbie and just bought a tablet.

i duplicate the layer, but when i convert to B&W, the original pic also convert to B&W.
so how do i get it to overlap and start erasing the B&W away to reveal the color area?please help.

me felt so lost after buying a tablet and realised i cant do much(or dunno how to do).haha!

tq!:)

jeanie said:
hi every1,

i duplicate the layer, but when i convert to B&W, the original pic also convert to B&W.
so how do i get it to overlap and start erasing the B&W away to reveal the color area?please help.

me felt so lost after buying a tablet and realised i cant do much(or dunno how to do).haha!

you can do a search in this forum, a lot of expert tips. :)

btw Tablet is not for everyone. In fact a mouse is much better that tablet, that's what the pros will tell you.

jeanie said:
hi every1,

maybe it's to do with the way you converted to b&w. which method did you choose?

jeanie said:
hi every1,

can you list your steps taken to convert to b&w
this will help us understand why...

jeanie said:
so how do i get it to overlap and start erasing the B&W away to reveal the color area?
er...did you convert to B/W by changing the mode of the image to greyscale?...otherwise, if you select one layer to convert to B/W, only that layer should change to B/W...

earthlings said:
btw Tablet is not for everyone. In fact a mouse is much better that tablet, that's what the pros will tell you.
while the tablet is not to everyone's style, I wonder in what context the Pro told you the mouse is better :think:

all the Pros I know use tablets...

earthlings said:
you can do a search in this forum, a lot of expert tips. :)

sigh...me just wanted 'simple' life.tot a tablet might help.cos i used mouse, always has probs trying to lasso subjects.maybe i shouldnt jump in so fast to get a tablet which cost me 275 :embrass:

ortega, foxtwo,

i duplicate layer, then on the newly duplicated layer, i switch to mode>grayscale.
seems like the background pic also became grayscale.

please help.i like this effect very much, hoping to learn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.