How to make selective colour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oTaRu

Dec 25, 2004
Hey guys, I dont know how to select certain colour to appear on the photos while the rest are black and white...

for example: i wan red colour, then the object that contain red colour will remain while the rest of the colours become black and white...

can anyone teach me how to do it using photoshop cs?
hmm... can canon 30D do this?

thanks in advance! :)

Hi oTaRu,

This is how you do it in PS:

1. Open the picture in PS.
2. Create an editing layer from the original, by dragging the background layer to the "create new layer" icon. Alternatively you can also click layer->new->layer from background at the menu bar. This will duplicate a layer from your original picture so that you can edit your heart out without worries.

selective0.jpg

3. Click the "edit in quick mask mode" icon on your tool bar (red circle). This will allow you to create a selection mask simply by painting on the picture with black color (which will appear as transparent red on the picture as below). If you made a mistake you can erase with white (blue circle).

selective1.jpg

4. When finish painting on the part you want to selectively keep the color, click the "edit in standard mode" icon (green circle). This will create a selection around the part you just drawn.

selective2.jpg

5. Now since you want to keep the color in this part and remove the color else where, click "select->inverse" on the menu bar to inverse the selection.
6. Now you're ready to desaturate the rest of the picture. On the menu bar, click "image->adjustment->desaturate".

selective3.jpg

7. Before you save the picture, click "layer->flatten image" on the menu bar to merge the layers.
8. You're done. Go grab a beer and celebrate. Cheers. :)

hi,

mine is photoshop element 5...can it do that also? can tell me how?

thanks

thanks alot ziploc~!
i will try it when i reach home...

hi,

mine is photoshop element 5...can it do that also? can tell me how?

thanks

PS element doesn't have quick mask mode, so you'll need to use adjustment layer for the masking instead. I do not have PS element, so I can't show you the screen shots. But these are the steps you'll need to perform:

1. Open the picture in PSe.
2. On the layers palette, click the "create new fill or adjustment layer" icon, select "hue/saturation...".
3. On the popup dialog, move the saturation slider all the way to the left to create a black & white layer.
4. On the layers palette, click the "white box" (which is the mask) in the adjustment layer.
5. Now you can paint over the area you want to keep the color with a black brush. The colors will show through magically. Erase with white if you made a mistake.
6. Once you're done, flatten the layers before savings.

That's all. Note that this method also works in full version of PS. :)

PS element doesn't have quick mask mode, so you'll need to use adjustment layer for the masking instead. I do not have PS element, so I can't show you the screen shots. But these are the steps you'll need to perform:

1. Open the picture in PSe.
2. On the layers palette, click the "create new fill or adjustment layer" icon, select "hue/saturation...".
3. On the popup dialog, move the saturation slider all the way to the left to create a black & white layer.
4. On the layers palette, click the "white box" (which is the mask) in the adjustment layer.
5. Now you can paint over the area you want to keep the color with a black brush. The colors will show through magically. Erase with white if you made a mistake.
6. Once you're done, flatten the layers before savings.

That's all. Note that this method also works in full version of PS. :)

thank you veri veri much.......will get my hands on it....

hi

after i make the picture into black and white...the next step about the white box in the adjustment layer i don't get it....

how? can enlighten me again??

thanks

Take a screenshot of your layers palette and post it here and I'll highlight it to you.

building_against_sky_2.jpg

try this one...leave the blue building colored ba...

thanks...

I think you've mistaken what I meant. Take a screenshot of your layers palette on your PSe and I'll point out the layer mask to you. It doesn't serve any purpose posting your picture here and ask me to color it.

oops sorrie...newbie ma....so duno alot of things...hehehehe...sorrie hor....

hi,

manage to trial and error and get your steps...

but erase with white? what white?

please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.