how to make photos color more vibrant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul_Yeo said:
Hi all,

some of my photos taken are dull and color not vibrant.

i saw this expert page http://www.pbase.com/nivlek28/root where his photos color are very rich and vibrant.

how u all make photos color richer and vibrant?
From the camera, you might be able to increase saturation through in-camera processing. For post processing, you can always increase saturation through selective colour, Hue/Saturation or other options in Photoshop.

Hope this helps!

Paul_Yeo said:
Hi all,

some of my photos taken are dull and color not vibrant.

i saw this expert page http://www.pbase.com/nivlek28/root where his photos color are very rich and vibrant.

how u all make photos color richer and vibrant?

Show some sample on your "Dull nad color not vibrant" pictures ....

Get the professional film .......

here example of dull photo

flower.jpg

this flower is very nice one. but it looks dull on my camera.

i am using digital (Nikon D70) , thus, cannot use professional film

Paul_Yeo said:
here example of dull photo

flower.jpg

this flower is very nice one. but it looks dull on my camera.

i am using digital (Nikon D70) , thus, cannot use professional film

Hope you don't mind if i edit your photo yah? how about this?

29390294.jpg

Something like this?

Velvia_Copy.jpg

For this pic, i used auto-contrast, adjusted levels abit, and applied a plug-in velvia filter action in PS.

Even without the velvia filter, usually adjusting contrast and levels helps to bring out the colours in the image better. :) Hope this helps.

the velvia one looks good... where can i get the velvia filter for PS?

the velvia filter looks nice!

but what can i do to my camera to take vibrant pictures?

bcos i dun have photoshop in office.

Jer76 said:
the velvia one looks good... where can i get the velvia filter for PS?

From here . :) Its a site with quite a number of PS actions, can try both the velvia and provia actions, i find both of these quite useful, esp if you dun want to mess around with selective colour manipulation urself. ;)

Paul_Yeo said:
the velvia filter looks nice!

but what can i do to my camera to take vibrant pictures?

bcos i dun have photoshop in office.

Prb can try increasing the in-camera saturation setting as suggested by nickmak? :)

Actually, your original picture just simply suffer from low contrast and too much blue in the picture.

Push up the contrast a bit higher and clean up the tints in the pictures and you will have more vibrant colours.

Paul_Yeo said:
to push up the contrast - this can only be done in PS right?

Opps ...... Just notice ... Nikon D70 ..... what lens?

Anyway, adjust your mode to SRGB IIIa ..... then see the result .... overexposure your camera by half stop and see if it helps.....

OK will try it out when i get home ...the SRGB IIIa thingy.

where's this function found btw?

Paul_Yeo said:

What WB did you use? Maybe you could try WB setting -2 or -3 to give more warmth to the colors. I've also uploaded Dave's Midtone Boost custom curve, together with Auto WB -2 for most pictures and they turn out ok.

Colours function is found in menu, under the image adjustment thingy menu, u know the one where you select vivid, sharp etc.. just go under custom and change it there. BTW, I use sRGBI, and don't have any problems from recent shots

Paul_Yeo said:
to push up the contrast - this can only be done in PS right?

Most imaging software can do the job.

maybe u wanna download Gimp? or ACDSee trial version?

Paul_Yeo said:

I am not a D70 users, but I think, if I remember it correctly, is

Optimize Image -->Custom --> color mode --> IIIa

You can also also +1 to Staturation, but then if you do that your print out might be Koya ;)

After that +half to one stop for exposure .... tell us the result :D

Dear Paul Yeo,

wah sad, you only have a little D70, no wonder colour not nice. (this isn't to be taken literally ...)

going by this thread, before the invention of photoshop, nobody could get nice colours.

1) that bouquet of flowers, looks somewhat underexposed by around almost 1 stop. have you tried to shoot that same thing with a different exposure? perhaps try bracketing ... go look for a subject with the same ugly colours and shoot it one stop brighter and one darker. see where you find the best results lie at.

2) i see some blue in the sky above. it was a blue sky day? or a muted, cloudy shadowless day? it looks a bit muted since there aren't any significant shadows around the bouquet. colours look more vibrant in more direct sunlight. without direct sun +/- shadows, dull colours might look more lively with a warming filter like an 81B for example. but again this is your age of photoshop so just click the famous "velvia filter".

3) ever tried some consumer pocket cameras? i hear they give nice colour. (again not to be taken literally.)

Status
Not open for further replies.