How to make my computer run slower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcuf2

Dec 29, 2005
KFC
I m really a newb at this.

Is there anything that i can do to make my computer run slower? I went to my comp's bios, but there is no option to tweak the ram speed down eg. from 133 to 100... and i also cant find any other options to make the cpu run slower...

As for jumpers, i cant think of any jumper that can make it run slower...

Is there any buttons in the windows xp that i can click click to make it slow down?

You're kidding, right ? Just load Vista and it will slow to a crawl :bsmilie:

Seriously, if you need to slow your PC down for compatibility purposes, check out this page:
http://www.geocities.com/kulhain/

nonono....alamak i should rephrase my question... I want to slow down the speed to cut my electricity usage... using less voltage i mean.

nonono....alamak i should rephrase my question... I want to slow down the speed to cut my electricity usage... using less voltage i mean.

Don't think it will save u much. Don't use confirm save a lot. haha! :bsmilie:

Don't think it will save u much. Don't use confirm save a lot. haha! :bsmilie:

hahaa... thats true... because i tend to leave my computer overnight, and for the day time activities, i dun seem to be using much cpu intensive stuffs... thus i m wondering if there is anyway to save power?

You mean downclock and undervolt your CPU?

What's your CPU? What's your motherboard? (the exact models!!!)

Mind you, in all likelyhood you will not save very much at all unless you're running an AMD64 or a new Intel Core chip. In that case, install the correct CPU driver from the AMD or Intel website, and then set your Windows Power scheme to "Minimal Power Management" (under the screensaver option).

Also, in your BIOS, you'll need to enable CoolNQuiet for AMD, Intel SpeedStep for Intel.

This will then automatically reduce the speed and voltage of your CPU when you're just surfing the net, typing an email, etc, but boost it back to 100% when you need it.

hahaa... thats true... because i tend to leave my computer overnight, and for the day time activities, i dun seem to be using much cpu intensive stuffs... thus i m wondering if there is anyway to save power?

Off ur monitor, for sure save one liao. Other than that, don't think u can. You try to search for some ans in other website lor. ;)

I never shut down my pc.
Just put it in sleep mode when not in use.

Off ur monitor, for sure save one liao.

Yup!!! The monitor is actually one of the biggest power draws, especially if it's CRT.

A high-end gaming comp will draw 180-280 watts (maybe even 400 if it's quad-core with SLI video cards etc etc), a CRT monitor can draw 100-130 watts alone...

to save electricity

1. switch to a smaller screen
2. lower the brightness
3. switch to slower HDD
4. less things in your computer eg. ram, hdd, DVD-R ... ...
5. switch off the computer

Slowing down your PC will not make any difference to the ammount of power it draws by any margin.

But if you really want to slow it down to the point that it draws NO power, give it a nice bath with lots of soap ;)

another reason i asked this question is because my notebook has the ability to slow down from 2ghz to 500mhz to save power, it definitely helps to save electricity because it increase the amount of time i can last on the battery by 2 to 4 times more...

thus i am thinking of doing the same thing to my desktop too..

You mean downclock and undervolt your CPU?

What's your CPU? What's your motherboard? (the exact models!!!)

Mind you, in all likelyhood you will not save very much at all unless you're running an AMD64 or a new Intel Core chip. In that case, install the correct CPU driver from the AMD or Intel website, and then set your Windows Power scheme to "Minimal Power Management" (under the screensaver option).

Also, in your BIOS, you'll need to enable CoolNQuiet for AMD, Intel SpeedStep for Intel.

This will then automatically reduce the speed and voltage of your CPU when you're just surfing the net, typing an email, etc, but boost it back to 100% when you need it.

My bios dun have speedstep or coolnquiet. my cpu is the intel 2.26ghz n my computer is this http://sg.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=497&subcategory=498&product=11766

I have spend the last 5mins opening the casing up and using the torch light to hunt around for the brand and all i could gather is "made in taiwan" and "TKAF0730520000062Z"... There isnt any brand n model anywhere, and i look thru the manual and they only described the chipsets used in the motherboard thats all.... i suppose its an oem motherboard made for creative.

you know, for a moment there I was actually going to suggest
1) downloading loads of spyware
2) downloading all sorts of gabra background programmes

But hey, to save electricity.. Just cut down on computer usage! I do think that there is the issue of how a notebook is powered, versus how a desktop is powered. =/ Doubt there'd actually be any significant difference?

Stop using it and let it collect dust in the corner.

another reason i asked this question is because my notebook has the ability to slow down from 2ghz to 500mhz to save power, it definitely helps to save electricity because it increase the amount of time i can last on the battery by 2 to 4 times more...

thus i am thinking of doing the same thing to my desktop too..
what processor are you using? all notebook processor (pentium M, coreduo, core2duo, celeron M) have speed-step built in to lower the voltage/speed and most importantly the energy consumption. iirc if your desktop is normal pentium 4... etc, there is not such features. but if you is coreduo or core2duo, i think you can set it in the BIOS (diff ain't much tho) my 1.86Ghz e6300 only stepped down to about 1.5+Ghz.

edit: iirc some motherboard enable you to clock-down(not step down) your FSB speed to lower processor speed, but normally this doesn't really save you any electric bill.

i understand that in windows, there's a power saving mode, go for that one? you could open your computer casing, remove all those unnecessary things, ie. excess casing fans.

basically, keeping your computer turned off most of the time saves the most bill.

what processor are you using? all notebook processor (pentium M, coreduo, core2duo, celeron M) have speed-step built in to lower the voltage/speed and most importantly the energy consumption. iirc if your desktop is normal pentium 4... etc, there is not such features. but if you is coreduo or core2duo, i think you can set it in the BIOS (diff ain't much tho) my 1.86Ghz e6300 only stepped down to about 1.5+Ghz.

edit: iirc some motherboard enable you to clock-down(not step down) your FSB speed to lower processor speed, but normally this doesn't really save you any electric bill.

My processor is just the normal intel pentium 2.26ghz thats all...no fancy functions along with it... no pentium M, just a solo core simple processor...
My previous computer can select a lower FSB speed to lower processor speed eg. 133 to 100, but in this computer the creative slix http://sg.creative.com/products/prod...roduct=1 1766 , there is no such option available in the BIOS... the BIOS is really plain simple...

wat abt software solutions? is there any softwares that can do the trick without going thru the hardware route?

i understand that in windows, there's a power saving mode, go for that one? you could open your computer casing, remove all those unnecessary things, ie. excess casing fans.

basically, keeping your computer turned off most of the time saves the most bill.

i cant really do much becos mine is already at a minimum... one processor, one harddisk, one dvd rom drive, one motherboard, one ram, one graphic card, no diskette drive, no cd drive, no sound card only integrated one, USB device only keyboard and mouse, no card reader attached, no bluetooth. one monitor... thats all.... nothing for me to remove at all..

My processor is just the normal intel pentium 2.26ghz thats all...no fancy functions along with it... no pentium M, just a solo core simple processor...
My previous computer can select a lower FSB speed to lower processor speed eg. 133 to 100, but in this computer the creative slix http://sg.creative.com/products/prod...roduct=1 1766 , there is no such option available in the BIOS... the BIOS is really plain simple...

wat abt software solutions? is there any softwares that can do the trick without going thru the hardware route?
erm... no way i can think off beside setting it in bios... anyway the clock down doesn't save you much $.

Status
Not open for further replies.