how to make a perfect white backdrop without wrinkles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leobox1

Jun 15, 2008
please help?

i tried mahjong papers

white clothes from $6 / metre to $4 metre after ironing, it still has wrinkles...

GIVE UP..

i need a white wrinkle free backdrop so as to make my isolation easy..

thanks help bros

you can always use a white wall. it works.

or you can spend the time to PS away the bg.

time to invest in some stands and a real backdrop! ;p

one picture

one thousand words

actually, one word also

Electric_Iron.jpg

i iron alot liao.. still got some wrinkles always there..

use wall but ground not white...

dont tell me must starch my cloth?

i iron alot liao.. still got some wrinkles always there..

use wall but ground not white...

dont tell me must starch my cloth?

.. you know that i'm kidding right? :)

anyways.. what backdrop is this for?

take macro shots.. i need a pure white backdrop

White floor tile!

Acrylic surface? But comes with nice sharp reflections. Use the same cloth, overexpose a bit to get rid of wrinkles, maybe under-flash subject to compensate. Light it from two different directions to get rid of shadows. Use coloured cloth and photoshop :p

One trick is to overexpose the background with a separate light.

I saw this arrangement when someone came to my office to take some portraits. The background is a white piece of cloth that has wrinkles. The model is placed sufficiently far away from the background. 2 lights are dedicated to lighting the background, one from each side, while another 2 is for the subject.

The light outputs are set separately. For the backgound, over-expose by 2 stops. For the subject, expose correctly.

Seemed to have work very well for that shoot.

A few things to take note off:

- Block the background lights from hitting the sucject or you will get a back-light effect
- Over-expose the background just enough to blow out the wrinkles, but not too much to again be a significant back-light source to the subject.

Maybe this is applicable to what you want to do.

please help?

i tried mahjong papers

white clothes from $6 / metre to $4 metre after ironing, it still has wrinkles...

GIVE UP..

i need a white wrinkle free backdrop so as to make my isolation easy..

thanks help bros

In food advertising, we use a thick white acrylic board with a flash underneath to give the perfect white surface. In addition, we use a large softbox (>1mx1m) for even lighting that envelopes the object and lights the surface without light drop off.

saw people also use opaque or semi opaque white acrylic boards for macros outdoors in photography magazine before also, even got mini stands to hold them.

basically, roygoh has already told you how photographers get pure white b/g, you need to light the b/g separately, and overexposed it by two stops.

if you can't do it this way, like you are placing the subject on the b/g itself to shoot, than you have to use formica like what ortega suggested, that's my favorite b/g for shooting table top products, btw, I'm using a 4'x8' size.

You also can use acrylic light table to shoot, like what Zohan mention, but has to be careful about your lighting, unless you want to have bottom lighting effect.

quite simple... take a piece of semi transparent acrylic put on bottom with a nice light on bottom, then another top light. confirm swee swee 1.

for the semi transparent acrylic, use cloudy one and then do a matt coat.

controlling and deciding the amount of light coming through whichever medium chosen needs some trial and error work. so that the light does not envelope or 'bleeds' the subject's outline.

basically, roygoh has already told you how photographers get pure white b/g, you need to light the b/g separately, and overexposed it by two stops.

if you can't do it this way, like you are placing the subject on the b/g itself to shoot, than you have to use formica like what ortega suggested, that's my favorite b/g for shooting table top products, btw, I'm using a 4'x8' size.

You also can use acrylic light table to shoot, like what Zohan mention, but has to be careful about your lighting, unless you want to have bottom lighting effect.

This is not challenging enough.... ;p

How to get a perfectly black tabletop background without reflections?

This is not challenging enough.... ;p

How to get a perfectly black tabletop background without reflections?
solid black and without any reflection?
use black velvet, and use masking tape to remove all the tiny winny dusts on the velet.

black with reflection?
use black acrylic with glossy surface is the best, a smoke glass place on top a black velvet will still have double reflection.

solid black and without any reflection?
use black velvet, and use masking tape to remove all the tiny winny dusts on the velet.

black with reflection?
use black acrylic with glossy surface is the best, a smoke glass place on top a black velvet will still have double reflection.

Velvet is generally used but the lighting for the object has got to be so well controlled so as not to illuminate the velvet, otherwise there will still be some shimmer. :(

With reflection is not that challenging. Like you mention just a piece of black acrylic would do it. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.