How to make a passport photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leongfm

Feb 12, 2003
www.pbase.com
My baby passport application has just been rejected due to a bad photo taken by a neighbourhood photo shop. I decided to take photos of my baby myself earlier in the evening using a white wall. The photos turned out to be much better than those from the photo shop.

Now the question is how do I convert from a full size JPEG file to the ideal size for the lab to print into passport sized photos. Should I crop the photo to certain size or leave the cropping and resizing by the lab? If the former, what is the best size I should prepare?

Thanks.

FM

look into the reason why ICA rejected the first photo. studied the photo specifications provided by ICA. with these info, through some trial and error ie. shooting with different image sizes and then cut/cropped according to ICA specifications yourself.

Leongfm said:
My baby passport application has just been rejected due to a bad photo taken by a neighbourhood photo shop. I decided to take photos of my baby myself earlier in the evening using a white wall. The photos turned out to be much better than those from the photo shop.

Now the question is how do I convert from a full size JPEG file to the ideal size for the lab to print into passport sized photos. Should I crop the photo to certain size or leave the cropping and resizing by the lab? If the former, what is the best size I should prepare?

Thanks.

FM

Apply the passport for your child online lor ...... then don't even need to print out passport sized photograph, you just send your digital photograph in.

This is the requirement if you apply passport for your child online :

Your photograph image must be taken within the last 3 months, in colour taken against a plain white background, and show the full face without headgear (headgear worn in accordance with religious or racial customs is acceptable but must not hide the facial features).

Your photograph image file attachment must be:

- in JPEG format;
- the file size should be no more than 60 Kbytes;
- the dimension of the photo image has to be 400 by 514 pixels.

If you choose to submit your passport application using other available methods, your photograph should meet the following specifications:

- Colour passport size photograph taken against a plain white background. The finishing should be matt or semi-matt;

- 35mm wide by 45mm high without border and taken within the last 3 months;

- Taken full face without headgear (headgear worn in accordance with religious or racial customs is acceptable but must not hide the facial features);

- The facial image should be 25mm and 35mm from chin to crown

Blurblock, Reachme2003

Thanks for you suggestions. I do not think I can submit the photo online now because the original application was done in person.

Anywhere I brought the photo I took to a photo shop near my office this morning. The shop cropped from the full sized photo file and resized accordingly. I paid $5 for 6 copies.

In the future I may try to "squeeze" 6 correctly proportioned photos into 4R and print. This will save me a bundle...30 cents vs $5.

FM

Leongfm said:
Blurblock, Reachme2003

Thanks for you suggestions. I do not think I can submit the photo online now because the original application was done in person.

Anywhere I brought the photo I took to a photo shop near my office this morning. The shop cropped from the full sized photo file and resized accordingly. I paid $5 for 6 copies.

In the future I may try to "squeeze" 6 correctly proportioned photos into 4R and print. This will save me a bundle...30 cents vs $5.

FM

$5 ??? what i put 5 photo on a 4R print just cost me less then $1 ............
dun try to squeeze 6 i think 5 is the max, cos sometime the edge will be crop off when print

Leongfm said:
Blurblock, Reachme2003

FM

learn now and provide the 'service' to us at half the price with delivery? ;p

Can try search in the digital dark room sub-forum. Was discussed before.

latmo said:
$5 ??? what i put 5 photo on a 4R print just cost me less then $1 ............
dun try to squeeze 6 i think 5 is the max, cos sometime the edge will be crop off when print

Actually you can lah. I squeezed 9 in one 4R print without any problem ;) Just arrange them tightly.

Cheers!

My wife nearly paid $9 for 6 passport size photos lately. It was for my son's school records and needed 2 actually. I took his pic and printed it with my Epson printer on matt photo paper. Do note that you will need post editing to remove shadows and crop exectly...otherwise will be rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.