How to maintain your DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robwhitz

Freshly-born newbie. :embrass:

How can I maintain my DC? I have been bringing it out a lot lately, but was worried :cry: coz I have no idea what I can do to clean it. Any advice the pro? TIA.

Originally posted by Klause
Put in dry box when not in use.

Do I need to get the air-tight container for it? Some of my frens thot I was nuts. Please advise.

What about after use? Do I need to wipe it with some 'special' cloth or ?? I'm sorry if the qns I asked are too basic. I'm trying to improve. :p

yeah newbie here too got my self an air tight contianer from ap just now so just put in can liao ah?

Don't forget to put silica gels in the dry box... :)

Originally posted by ray_stinger
how much did u bought it for?

for 30 at ap

silica gels absorbs moisture, in other words lower the humidity. The purpose of an air tight box and silica gels is to create an environment that is low in humidity for the camera. The low humidity will prevent fungal growth on the lens and corrosion of the metal and electronics.

The silica gel is very cheap, it should be blue and a bottle typically cost around $5 or less.

Remember to put the gel in some form of container before putting into the air tight box. The container for the gel should allow air to enter. Something like like a pouch or sock will be fine.

can it be in contact with the camera?? cos i just put it scattered at the bottom n put a piece of paper on top then my camera with the pouch on top

Originally posted by budiman10
can it be in contact with the camera?? cos i just put it scattered at the bottom n put a piece of paper on top then my camera with the pouch on top

I did the same thing... hmm.. think i would probably try
putting it in a sock... i kinda afraid the silicon balls would get
into the A/V out.

With respect to this thread's heading...
Is condensation a problem with the DC's lens...
brought my cam to an air con environment for the first time...
and when i came out... wah... all the lens fog and i couldn't
use it for a while... panic...
:eek:

G2-newbie

Originally posted by rainyboy

I did the same thing... hmm.. think i would probably try
putting it in a sock... i kinda afraid the silicon balls would get
into the A/V out.

With respect to this thread's heading...
Is condensation a problem with the DC's lens...
brought my cam to an air con environment for the first time...
and when i came out... wah... all the lens fog and i couldn't
use it for a while... panic...
:eek:

G2-newbie

I think it's better not to let the gel get into contact with the camera... if i didn't remember wrongly, the gel heats up when absorbing moisture... and I wouldn't like it getting into those little places...

Condensation on lens is quite normal... just let it dry out or use a lens cap to reduce the effect... But condensation on the inside will be bad for the electronics... try to keep the cam in the camera bag so that the temperature doesn't change rapidly. Don't really have a problem with condensation... My camera is so warm when its in use....

Yep, i think the gels are absolutely necessary.
I put them in a paper box and use a pen to perforate the box till it looked like a bee hive. Every now and then (which is very long), i'd check on the gels and when it turns pink, It means the gells are absorbed and used.
When that happens, I'd put them in a discarded pan I kept and fry the pink beans on the stove. you'll see that the beans will turn blue. what happens is that the heat drives the moistures out from the gell and makes it new again to do its job.
Please take extra note to clean the pan before you fry and not to use the pan after frying the gell. I don't know if the gell will leave behind poisonous residue or not. Do handle with care as the beans will be hot. Allow it to cool for a short while before putting back to the air tight box.

my 2 frames worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.