How to maintain equipment for long trips

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceberg

Nov 20, 2002
West
berkyberg.blogspot.com
I'm talking in terms of 3months, 6 months etc.
Personally I would use large zip lock bags and silica gel.

What would you guys do?

What type of conditions/weather are you encountering? This would affect your maintenance equipment to bring along.

1) Canisters of compressed air
2) Mircofiber cloth
3) Distilled water for the KS type
4) Contact cleaner for the KS type
5) Silica gel, those rechargable types if you have access to electricity
6) Waterproof Sealbags, those used for white water rafting. Or Pelican Case.
7) Blower
8) Brush

i might go Europe for business trip. Photography definitely will be a weekend thingie.
the items u mentioned seem to be quite a handful!

now that you mention it, rechargeable silica gel.. any idea how much and where to get them in singapore?

When and where are you heading to Europe? In some parts of the world, the climate is drier than your dry cabinet so you can save all that trouble.

No need to bring anything. Just bring your camera and your lens and flash. Just use your camera often. I've stayed longer than 6 months.

microcosm: for 6 months, i think most europe countries will experience extreme seasons. but u do have a point, at some time, it will be drier than my dry cabi.

jbma: last time u brought dslr or film cam? did you bring all ur gear or just some light weighter ones?

I think since you are on a business trip, no need to worry so much.

I was just imagining you were going somewhere with extreme heat/cold, humidity, dust, etc... The kind of places where you may bump into Lara Croft :D

Most important, make sure you have the neccessary international power adaptors so you can charge your batteries. It would be very "funny" if you end up not being able to charge your batteries :sweat:

A simple blower, brush and microfiber cloth will do for your trip. The other items would be useful when you accompany Lara on her future adventures.

Enjoy your trip :)

yo bro yang, u going to europe arghhhh!!!!?? for 6 months somemore... then u can visit auntie dy and the rest over there lorr... haha...
anyway, sorry to crashing in ur thread... heeheee... ;p

haha how about buying a 2nd hand dry cabi over there? save allllllll the trouble and u get a peace of mind :)

I have seen some pictures of a pelican case with those rechargable silica gel devices.

If you do decide to get one of those rechargable silica gel gadgets, make sure you check for the recharge time. Toyo Living has one model but havent seen any for sale in SG.

I regreted buying the ones they sell at Homefix. They take like 10-12 hrs to recharge :(

If you stay at hotel with 24/7 aircond, do not worry, you are staying at big dry-cab ;) .

Regards,
Arto.

yo bro yang, u going to europe arghhhh!!!!?? for 6 months somemore... then u can visit auntie dy and the rest over there lorr... haha...
anyway, sorry to crashing in ur thread... heeheee... ;p

adik yang.. didn't expect you to turn up on this thread so fast! shouldn't you be studying? ;)

anyway, trip not confirmed yet. Just planning on what to do if really confirmed.
i welcome ur crashing anytime, anywhere :)

thanks for the ideas guy.
I briefly saw some post about someone saying if worry so much then better not bring equipment.

I would love to bring my equipment, just wondering what're the common methods of preserving them.

last time when i went thailand for about 10 days, i brought zip lock bags and silica gel. I didn't use it until i meet rainy days and got caught slightly in rain.

adik yang.. didn't expect you to turn up on this thread so fast! shouldn't you be studying? ;)

anyway, trip not confirmed yet. Just planning on what to do if really confirmed.
i welcome ur crashing anytime, anywhere :)

heeheee... now is a very stress period and everybody seems so stress and so am i...:confused:
then try to reduce stress by looking at other bro's and sis's photo lorr... heeheee...
anyway... if u still remember, last year NUS Sci Coop has this mini dehumidifier and it cost around $20... but dunno still got or not... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.