How to maintain dslr when travelling overseas for 6 months

I was in UK for a few months a few yeas. The humidity was very low. You can imagine your skin and lip all dried up and fracture from the lack of moisture.
A silica gel is not necessary as my new make friends over there didn't even use them. Just be wary about the weather and don't wet it :)

I will be going on student exchange in an european country in Februrary. However, I will not be intending to bring a drybox over due to the bulk. As such, what methods are advisable to keep my dslr dry and mould-free? (considering the end-winter to spring conditions that I will be experiencing during my stay there.) I had considered improvising with silica gel but I just would like to get some opinions.

Thanks.

You might want to bring a pocketable hygrometer along with you... if the humidity level is indeed low enough in your particular time and location, you can completely forget about fungus growth and save yourself the trouble of silica gel/dry boxes/other dehumidifying methods.

And yes, daily use of the camera will greatly reduce chances of fungal growth

Thanks for the prompt replies and useful opinions. I will be studying there so hopefully I will have time to bring the camera out regularly. But I am convinced by you guys so just gonna chiong with some silica gel hahaha.

Your DSLR will survive. I am a wedding photographer in Miami where the climate is humid for 11 months a year.... We also shoot weddings in the Carribean, Bahamas, Jamaica, Mexico, etc. The humidity won't damage your camera. JKust make sure that you keep an eye on fogging when you leave the air conditioned hotel room and you go outside!

weather sealed body and lens?

6 months is really short. If you use it regularly, should work perfectly fine. Anyway, if you are travelling to a developed country, don't worry, people they also use DSLRs.

Sorry, like to seek the same question as well, but mine is 2 months out in the sea.. Lol, any advice?

ICPIXELS said:
Sorry, like to seek the same question as well, but mine is 2 months out in the sea.. Lol, any advice?

Saltwater is a backstabbing biatch. Even the salty breeze will affect the electronics in some way.