how to maintain camera when travelling overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenglw86

Dec 27, 2006
hi all, how do u store your camera when it goes travelling with u overseas and u don't have the benefit of a dry cabinet?

hi all, how do u store your camera when it goes travelling with u overseas and u don't have the benefit of a dry cabinet?

How long will you be travelling oversea? 1 year? 5 years? 10 years? or simply 1-2 weeks? Overkill for you to even consider or entertain that kind of question if it is just a short trip...unless you are going to some of the most inhospitable environment in the modern world. Your proper camera bag would more then enough even if you are away for more then a month!. Let's not be too overly panicky.

I don't even use a dry box for my DSLR/lens since the day I bought them and it has been 2 years plus and they are still in fine condition. I use my gear 2-3 days every week.

First of all, dry cabinets are for storing equipment for a prolonged period of time to prevent fungus growth. So even if you are here, there is no point for that if you use your cameras regularly.

i also think that dry cabinets are for more humid countries. when u travel u also use ur camera every day (well, i did anyway) and i doubt that fungus will have a chance to grow as the air is constantly moved around.

Where will you be going? If you are going to any of the temperate country, then a dry cabinet will be useless. The weather there are usually quite dry. The use of dry cabinet is mainly for those places with a tropical rainforest kind of weather, like Singapore where the average humidity is more than 90%.

In fact if you go to Europe or USA, the photographers there may not even know what is a dry cabinet.

just leave it in ya bag at night..... erhm... works for me at least..hahaha

Ha ha. I have saw this post by a Singaporean in the Fred Miranda forum a couple of years back asking about dry cabinet, and most of the members were like,"Huh?? What the heck is that.....".

They have a luxury of a not so humid atmosphere...

Ask them to come over to SG and leave their gears without the protection of a dry cabinet.. and let's see if they scream bloody murder about their gear.. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.