How To Lower Moisture Via Silica Gel ?

cjtks

Apr 9, 2011
fivetan.wordpress.com
Hi
I'm a newbie who just bought a DSLR. I just bought a bottle of Silica Gel (500g) and would like to pack them up before keeping with my camera. I thought of poking holes with mechanical pencil on the zip lock bag (same size as those from clinic) before pouring in the gel. However, I notice that the bag become dusty ! Can I still put it with my camera ? What if the gel dust contaminate my camera as the dust comes out from the poked holes ?!
Folks, any idea of how to pack the gel for better usage ? How do you guys lower the moisture via Silica Gel ? Regards & thanks. ;)

Hi
I'm a newbie who just bought a DSLR. I just bought a bottle of Silica Gel (500g) and would like to pack them up before keeping with my camera. I thought of poking holes with mechanical pencil on the zip lock bag (same size as those from clinic) before pouring in the gel. However, I notice that the bag become dusty ! Can I still put it with my camera ? What if the gel dust contaminate my camera as the dust comes out from the poked holes ?!
Folks, any idea of how to pack the gel for better usage ? How do you guys lower the moisture via Silica Gel ? Regards & thanks. ;)

Dusty and DSLR don't go together for many reasons. I also wouldn't use silica gel because it's hard to maintain a correct relative humidity range. If not dry enough you might get fungus, too dry and rubber seals might crack.

I would strongly recommend a dry cabinet instead.

Get a dry cabinet. Why messing with Silica gel?

I'm deeply concerned that TS is a workshop/organizer...

Get a dry cabinet. Why messing with Silica gel?

Agree. If you can spend thousands on a DSLR, I'm sure you can spare $100 for a metal box that hardly consume electricity all years round. It's also helps to consolidate all your other accessories like batteries, filters, so forth.

I had the idea of packing some for the camera bag but didn't give it much thought until your thread appeared.
I think those coffee strainer cloth i.e. used by old coffee shop, might do the trick.
For better control, you might want to vary the amount of silica gel such that not too much water is removed.

Hi

Dust is not a creature that seeks to fly into your camera...

My suggestion is to get a dry cabinet in the longer term.

just get a dry cabinet, set the rh, let it run for awhile and then use it. no need to worry so many things.

I'm using a dry cabinet and very satisfied with the results.. No need to bake the slical gel or worry about the RH...

Every mth just pay $3 for electricity

hi, you can pack the gel into film canister or similar. then just puncture some small holes. the canister is much more durable. But ideally u shld still get a dry cabi..