You
have
to
ask
paul

:D

You have to ask paul :D
:bsmilie:

Seriously, I recommend studying other people's photos (assuming you're referring to photography) and what other people say about them. One good site is PhotoSIG

Books might help as well, esp. with the basics.

If all else fails, dress strangely and act scornful towards everyone else. That seems to work for some people :)

Last edited:
:bsmilie:

Seriously, I recommend studying other people's photos (assuming you're referring to photography) and what other people say about them. One good site is PhotoSIG

Books might help as well, esp. with the basics.

If all else fails, dress strangely and act scornful towards everyone else. That seems to work for some people :)

Lawl.

On the topic of looking at others' photos, I feel that some online image hosting communities (such as Flickr) are more sweet-talking than others when it comes to image comments, so be selective too. :)

The trick is to:

Add vignetting.
Tilt 45 degrees.
BW.
Lower saturation.
Use abstract titles.
Flame XMM shooting GWCs.
Finally and most important, you must announce "I am an artist!"

And you'll be an artist!

Either take yourself off to Borders or even the Library, purchase or borrow photography and art books. Browse photo Blogs online and this site. Read the forums to see how a photo was achieved (ie: camera settings) then get out and experiment. The if you post the photo to C&C for artistic endeavour, clearly state what you were trying to achieve and listen (with an open mind) to those who criticize your work. If their points are valid revisit your work or take the lesson into your next shoot. If you disagree (and you are entitled too) then ignore the criticisism and just keep shooting.

Attend gallery openings and art shows, not just for photography but for all art.

Use the work of others as inspiration for your own vision of the world.

Even when you don't have your camera imagine how you would shoot such a scene, even go so far as to use your hand phone, and then judge the result on an artisitic level (symmetry, lines, thirds, dead space, etc) not the camera quality.

Learn to look for interesting angles, lines, space and even shadow in everything you see. Sometimes step closer, sometimes step back. Look up, look down, look for patterns, look for chaos...just LOOK.

Above all, experiment.

Yeah, on a more serious note, I feel the best way is to attend lectures and talks by artists, not just photographers. They always have tonnes of things to share, that the regular amateur just doesn't see.

On CS for instance, the vast majority of comments are "too cluttered", "more bokeh please", "ps her face more", "why you pp so much", "limbs cut off", "no coloured contacts!", "OOF!". It's the same for most photographic forums because in the end, most photographers veer towards a more technical side. These don't teach you artistic concepts at all what.

The best way at least for me is to look and see more of other people's work and appreciate what works and what doesn. Abit more stringent self critism is beneficial. Do not think that what u got urself is the best u got and be satisfied, because there is always a better shot in the future and a better angle to take. I am never satisfied or happy with what I got.

There are many accomplished photographers overseas that you can take reference, and even magazines. Do not be restricted by what you get to see or hear locally.

Ryan

set your mind free.
break the rules.
blaze a trail.
try.
fail.
learn.
experience.

Through experimenting???
depends on your definition of art...

do you intend to sell your art to make a buck or simply to explore your art possibilities even if people cannot understand?

very very few are able to mix both together successfully.

You can try art school...........

1) Wear really outlandish clothes. or very old, dirty berms and worn out tees, depending on what kind of artistic yu wanna be.

2) Speak in abstracts that no one will understand. Drag in word that end in 'ism', 'ive' and 'tic', or don't speak at all for the rest of your life.

3) Don't shave - EVER! Brushing teeth is optional. Baths are choices you deliberate over for months on end.

4) Choose the people you are seen with very carefully. Culture vultures are everywhere!

5) Eat unleavened bread and speak to plants and vegetables everyday.

6) Denounce militarism and any organised form of government, but always accept their awards and grants.

7) Once in a few years, whip out an old piece of work you did as a child and announce to the world that you 'need to revisit your past and touch the roots of life in order to move ahead and forge new and visionary artistic grounds'.

8) If you think one of your works is worth $2, price it with a 2 to 20 thousand percent mark-up. Really treasured works are never to be sold, just used as placemats.

9) Hum and speak to yourself in public ever so often.

10) Learn what the world looks like through the bottom of beer bottles and the haze of smoke - lot of it.

There you go, a maggie-mee guide on 'how to learn to be more artistic'. :bsmilie:

I believe you can learn to be artistic to a certain level via books, visually , but to progress in it, I guess is inborn either that or you cut off certain cortex of your brain to access it.

First step, understand your reason for art, and what you wish to express in each and every of your photos.
If you can complete that, everything else comes naturally.

Or you can buy a highend DSLR and machinegun your way through everything with 6fps and pick the best out of hundreds.

By finding the meaning of life.

1) Wear really outlandish clothes. or very old, dirty berms and worn out tees, depending on what kind of artistic yu wanna be.

2) Speak in abstracts that no one will understand. Drag in word that end in 'ism', 'ive' and 'tic', or don't speak at all for the rest of your life.

3) Don't shave - EVER! Brushing teeth is optional. Baths are choices you deliberate over for months on end.

4) Choose the people you are seen with very carefully. Culture vultures are everywhere!

5) Eat unleavened bread and speak to plants and vegetables everyday.

6) Denounce militarism and any organised form of government, but always accept their awards and grants.

7) Once in a few years, whip out an old piece of work you did as a child and announce to the world that you 'need to revisit your past and touch the roots of life in order to move ahead and forge new and visionary artistic grounds'.

8) If you think one of your works is worth $2, price it with a 2 to 20 thousand percent mark-up. Really treasured works are never to be sold, just used as placemats.

9) Hum and speak to yourself in public ever so often.

10) Learn what the world looks like through the bottom of beer bottles and the haze of smoke - lot of it.

There you go, a maggie-mee guide on 'how to learn to be more artistic'. :bsmilie:
best advice ever....:thumbsup:

I can even smell the "artistic" emit from far far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.