How to know what focal lenght?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sukoo

Apr 9, 2004
Was viewing some of the sample photos in the photo galleries at the dpreview.com just now..
I notice that they also stated the focal length of the camera when the photo was taken.

How do I know what focal length I'm in if I'm not using a DSLR?

whether dslr or non dslr...from the perspectve and the subject matter and the lighting conditions...can roughly guess what focal length range :think:

1. By taking down the focal length setting everytime you shoot something.
2. By experience, like what clive said.
3. By memory -- Erm.... I *think* I used a 70mm for that shot.

Regards
CK

clive said:
whether dslr or non dslr...from the perspectve and the subject matter and the lighting conditions...can roughly guess what focal length range :think:

oh i see... so it is from the experience to tell the focal length just looking at the photo? ok.. thanks!

yup, agree with ckiang and clive. Don't need DSLR to tell you your focal length. You can just read it off the lens! :D And yes, you can make a rough gauge judging by the photo roughly what focal length was used, and even what shutter speed and aperture in more obvious situations (e.g mist-like water flows won't be taken with a fast shutter speed, likewise, blurred backgrounds wouldn't be taken with a small aperture.)

ckiang said:
1. By taking down the focal length setting everytime you shoot something.
2. By experience, like what clive said.
3. By memory -- Erm.... I *think* I used a 70mm for that shot.

Regards
CK

It is easy for a DSLR. But what about a normal digicam? Normally we just use the zoom lever switch to zoom in or out the lens. Other than the max tele and wide zoom we can't really tell what focal length we are in when shooting in between right?

I am just curious that they were able to come out something like "76mm" for focal length when the photo was taken..

Most probably, they were looking at the EXIF. :)

Right click on your photo, show properties and go to the summary tab.

Almost all the digicam (DSLR or non-DSLR) nowadays support EXIF which will write additional info such as shutter speed, aperature , focal length, iso speed etc to the picture when it is taken. No need DSLR to do that.

Darkspade

NiVleK said:
Most probably, they were looking at the EXIF. :)

Right click on your photo, show properties and go to the summary tab.

Hey that's a great piece of information! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.