How to keep the white building white?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdie

Feb 14, 2002
Hi fellas, could appreciate some help..

When i shot against the sun in #1, the building was too dark
Then in #2, the sun was out of the picture... then the building came out.. but the sky had no details, just white
#3 is what the colour should ideally be like
Thanks in advance for any help!

#1 f/20, 1/1600 EV 0
3861225318_8c17c1e175.jpg

#2 f/11 1/500 EV +1
3861230236_bc731376fa.jpg

#3 It's this white...
3861241764_7525bbc333.jpg

Last edited:
the white building is in the shadows. it will always remain darker then the sky.

you will realise that when u get your buildings correct, your sky is too bright (overbloomed). when your sky is correct, your buildings are too dark.

you need a HDR to get it resolved.

Google HDR. =)

Oh dear, ya i know what HDR is... heh...
Time + Effort :p

the white building is in the shadows. it will always remain darker then the sky.

you will realise that when u get your buildings correct, your sky is too bright (overbloomed). when your sky is correct, your buildings are too dark.

you need a HDR to get it resolved.

Google HDR. =)

Sorry guys.. newbie here.. wat is hdr?? n btw there's a stray lite on pic 1 at the staircase.. ;)

i think a GND filter would probably help...

HDR:

Use a tripod or place your camera on a stable platform (like a table or a bench).
Compose your picture. Get an exposure.
Go to Auto Exposure Bracket and bracket -2 and +2. Then select Continuous shot.
Activate mirror lock-up and 2-sec timer then take the shot. OR, use a remote.
Then just use your favorite HDR software to make your HDR!

You can use a graduated ND Filters

Often it is necessary or desirable to balance light intensity in one part of a scene with another, in situations where you don't have total light control, as in bright exteriors. Exposing for the foreground will produce a washed-out, over-exposed sky. Exposing for the sky will leave the foreground dark, under-exposed.

You can use a graduated ND Filters

Often it is necessary or desirable to balance light intensity in one part of a scene with another, in situations where you don't have total light control, as in bright exteriors. Exposing for the foreground will produce a washed-out, over-exposed sky. Exposing for the sky will leave the foreground dark, under-exposed.

Ahhh, that explains a lot! Will an ND filter work on UWA lens?
Alternatively i can use the painful way... using HDR!

is it really so hard to:

1. go to google.com.
2. key in HDR
3. hit enter key

???

ND filters will work on any lens btw. as long as you can get it screwed on, or the holder screwed on.

Ok, my lens is male, so as long as i get a female filter, i'm sure screwing won't be a problem.. unless there's something my lens is not telling me :think:

is it really so hard to:

1. go to google.com.
2. key in HDR
3. hit enter key

???

ND filters will work on any lens btw. as long as you can get it screwed on, or the holder screwed on.

Besides HDR, you can also use a camera capable of capturing higher dynamic range like the Fuji S5pro. :)

Besides HDR, you can also use a camera capable of capturing higher dynamic range like the Fuji S5pro. :)

Er, no.. just bought a D90... :|
No $ left!

Ok, my lens is male, so as long as i get a female filter, i'm sure screwing won't be a problem.. unless there's something my lens is not telling me :think:

yes, but there are some lens that doesnt accept filters.

like the 14-24 f/2.8.

i got no idea what lens you are using, so its best to use the word "most".

Tokina 11-16mm... it's 77mm thread

yes, but there are some lens that doesnt accept filters.

like the 14-24 f/2.8.

i got no idea what lens you are using, so its best to use the word "most".

Status
Not open for further replies.