how to keep the camera lense algae free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheriechan

Jan 5, 2010
hougang
hi,

I'm still new to all this.

can anyone tell me how do i keep the lense of camera algae free?

will it definitely grow on the lense?

:D

Don't store your equipment submerged in garden ponds or aquariums that are exposed to direct sunlight for prolonged periods. :sweat:

Get a digicab or electronic dry cabinet. :)

Logically you should keep the camera away from water and ensure that the there is no high nitrate in the water. Algae will grow on wet surface with high nitrate and plentiful of light.

Prevention of algae include apply algaecide or get algae scraper which you can get from major plant nurseries and aquarium stores. But how these chemical treatment is to apply on camera and lenses is still unknown and require more citation.

Perhaps you can advise us. Thanks

take it out of the aquarium already!

Keep your underwater case well maintained so that it is water tight. Should keep out water, algae and fishes.
Once water is inside just take out the cam, throw away the body and bring the lens to service center or bro 'fatigue' here in CS. I'm sure he would be interested in such a case. Something different, not the usual (boring) fungus cases.
Just wondering whether algae on lens surface can be used as green filter, kind of 'natural light filter'?

IIRC from the old days ... it wasn't that difficult to remove heavy green algae growth from glass surfaces.

Usually, use a long rod and holder that had a safety razor/shaving blade to 'scrape' off the algae. Most of the time, because you're doing this at an angle, the glass is hardly scratched.

While there are chemical avenues, one 'milder approach' could be to allow water snails to eat off the algae before sending the camera to Fatigue.

hi,

Store ALL your cameras' accessories in a Humidy controlled cabinet. Should be able to get one below $100 at Carrefore.

Drop a few drops of Hydrogen Peroxide and let it be for night - I use that for my aquarium equipment whenever there is algae. Hydrogen peroxide is safe - even on human skin.

Peng Kang Hill

fungi simply love dark and moist conditions. Regular usage and humudity controlled environments can help reduce the chances of having them grow across the lenses!

algae no la. i think u refering to fungal growth.

Don't store your equipment submerged in garden ponds or aquariums that are exposed to direct sunlight for prolonged periods. :sweat:

Get a digicab or electronic dry cabinet. :)

Sounds like an advert for dry cabi

well, fisheyes are not supposed to be placed in ponds.

I was wondering why *nobody* brought up the fisheye link yet...

I always knew you were special! :kiss:

I was wondering why *nobody* brought up the fisheye link yet...

I always knew you were special! :kiss:

:sweat:

fap2.gif

hi,

don't leave camera inside your bathroom after you've taken photos, get a dry box or dry cabinet to store your camera.

hope this help.

You could try coating on the glass filter (or housing) using invisible nano LCD protector liquid, then top buffer with high quality showroom polymer car wax. That should separate the water from the glass surface for a week of submersible but the interval (weeks or month) between application is unknown.

For plastic surface, you can try apply a thin coat of clear grease used in water components, that should prevent algae.

Status
Not open for further replies.