How to keep black jeans black? And in good condition?

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
Bought some new black levis jeans, wanted to keep them black, so I read the salt and vinegar trick to soak the jeans in and I did. After one wash, still lose color?

Wanting to keep them in good condition, heard some urban myth that americans don't wash their jeans and frequent washing wear and tear it too much.

So I worn my new pair for a month without wash, but after one wash, still look damn terrible, belt area fraying with fur, caused by the think tank belt velcro pulling it, knee area fading and whitist, caused by frequent kneeing position to shoot, back pocket whitish from wallet mark.

After just one wash it look like old jeans already.

Blue jeans no such problem.

Is it so hard to keep black jeans looking black and looking 'not so old'?

Since this is a photography forum... May I suggest grafer tapes? :D

Seriously, Levi's should be durable and resist color fade... How many times you have washed the jeans?

I ever own a levis 501 super black and never wash for a couple of mths.....at the end became super stink....so wife wash it and a few times of that....it became like a normal washed denim....it doesn't really worked in our kind of weather....in winter or cold country probably still alright :(

Big Kahuna said:
I ever own a levis 501 super black and never wash for a couple of mths.....at the end became super stink....so wife wash it and a few times of that....it became like a normal washed denim....it doesn't really worked in our kind of weather....in winter or cold country probably still alright :(

the smell must be terrible. tat y it get wash

Wear dark sunglasses :bsmilie:

Yes, I one month never wash, but no smell because after every day I spray deodorant into the jeans.

I wash only one time only. Its the Levis 501 black jeans.

...heard some urban myth that americans don't wash their jeans and frequent washing wear and tear it too much.

They only wash the part that is between the legs.

The whole pants are black black. The part between the legs is faded.

:bsmilie:

Last edited:
Usually I don't wash my jeans as much as possible just put febreeze and sun it.

If you're into designer denim, they recommend you don't wash AT ALL just dry clean

Usually I don't wash my jeans as much as possible just put febreeze and sun it.

If you're into designer denim, they recommend you don't wash AT ALL just dry clean

I learn it the hard way. I washed my black waxed jeans. The color becomes faded and the wax starts dropping off.

hand wash with little detergent - to remove smell
don not soak for too long and hang to dry
does work imo

soak them in black ink after you wash :bsmilie:

Bought some new black levis jeans, wanted to keep them black, so I read the salt and vinegar trick to soak the jeans in and I did. After one wash, still lose color?

Wanting to keep them in good condition, heard some urban myth that americans don't wash their jeans and frequent washing wear and tear it too much.

So I worn my new pair for a month without wash, but after one wash, still look damn terrible, belt area fraying with fur, caused by the think tank belt velcro pulling it, knee area fading and whitist, caused by frequent kneeing position to shoot, back pocket whitish from wallet mark.

After just one wash it look like old jeans already.

Blue jeans no such problem.

Is it so hard to keep black jeans looking black and looking 'not so old'?

When I have more time I will try to DYE them. Busy now but should be free after this weekend. Will update you.

It's not Americans that don't wash their jeans. People who wear raw denims don't wash their jeans. Or at least every 6 months. So that the jeans can fade and have it's own characteristics like this
rawdenim.jpg

Your jeans is most probably washed to have it's own fade unless it's raw.
My advise is just soak it in water. Cold or warm it's fine. Don't need to wash them too often since denim is ultra durable materials. If it stinks, just spray some febreeze.

Last edited:
And of course some denim lovers love the wash them for the faded colour. All up to personal preference

Some people will just wash one in a while but air it when not wearing the jean

Wash and dry it inside out will
help as sun and abrasion will cause the colour to run. All jeans are dye so cannot really prevent colour run unless you don't ever wash it or only do dry cleaning but wearing it causes abrasion and discolouration too.