di0nysus

Jul 15, 2003
m
Visit site
got a SATA HDD..

current config is P4 2.6c. 512mb.

IDE1: CDROM/DVDRW
IDE2: PATA HDD1/ PATA HDD2.

Got 2 slots for SATA. But I can't find the power cable to SATA. i have the data cable to SATA though.

Qn is...do i just plug and play? there's no jumper/master/slave etc. and not sure if i must do anything to BIOS.....RAID 0 1 (confusing) etc.

Went to HWZ...its either too cheem, or seems like many of them can't be bother to answer such 'simple qns' anymore.

THanks for any help.

You need to go back to the shop and get the SATA Power Cable. It's different from a regular power cable. Not too sure about the master/slave setting, the last time I installed one for a friend, he has only 1 SATA HDD.

You'll also need to set the BIOS to boot from SATA instead of IDE if you want the SATA drive to be your boot drive. To install XP, you will need a floppy drive and the floppy disc containing the drivers which comes with the SATA card or motherboard.

Regards
CK

thanks for replying

I do not intend to use it as a boot drive.

You can use the normal 4 pin if your hdd have a 4 pin power input. Be sure not to plug in the 4 pin and the SATA power input together.

Regarding the pin, SATA is plug and play. Its not like IDE whereby you plug two hdd using the same cable, i.e., for SATA, no need to set jumper so no jumper.

Hope this helps.

Edit: RAID 0/1 requires two hdd... RAID 0 is data stripping, to improve hdd response speed, i.e., you store half your file in one HDD and the other half in the other HDD so that overall speed increases as you can simultaneously access both drives. RAID 1 is for data protection. Whatever is in one HDD is re-copied simultaneously to the other HDD. Might slow down performance slightly.

SATA is not the normal 4pin, hence i need to look for the converter.

what do u mean 'not to plug in the 4 pin and SATA power input together'?

i believe there's a power convert from 4pin to SATA power connecter...else how to get power?

if your SATA drive is Seagate then u need the sata power cable ... but if ur drive is maxtor then the 4 way cable will do

cheers

di0nysus... did you buy a SATA card for your mobo or does your mobo already got SATA support...

I'm looking for a SATA card. :think:

sata power cable should be given free when u purchase your hdd, if not go back to the shop and ask for it

di0nysus said:
SATA is not the normal 4pin, hence i need to look for the converter.

what do u mean 'not to plug in the 4 pin and SATA power input together'?

i believe there's a power convert from 4pin to SATA power connecter...else how to get power?

I guess might be easier if you tell us what brand your hdd is. Some brands (hitachi) has dual input. In which case, you can use either the 4 pin molex or the SATA input, but not both.

Yes, you can get a power converter. But I think you got to pay for it.

Some Sata drive spins at 10K rpm. Hot stuff. Better to use a good casing with strong ventilation.

i assume ur HD is from Seagate, hence u still need the 4pin-To-SATA power adapter cable. usually comes with the MB package. check it out first before buying. ;)

thanks all for replies.

mine is seagate 7200rpm i think. sata is already on board. i ran out of IDE cables, hence getting sata, though read in HWZ sata doesn't really make a diff. (speed etc).

i've checked the entire mobo package, there's no 4pin to sata power converter.

will to back to SLS to ask for it from the shop i bought the HDD from. Any idea how much it wld cost anyway?

cheers

New generation of PSU also come with SATA power connector. Do double check yours.
Otherwise, you really have to buy one.

few infos:

HDD does not come with sata cable, it comes with your motherboard.
Like st_sg said, P4 ready PSU will come with those speicial power connector, those connector is for sata hdd.
Also, some sata hdd(maxtor 9 series) accept both power connector, those old type ATA is using and those new type(flat type).

Status
Not open for further replies.