How to install EOS Utility without CD

rainwhisper

Jul 18, 2008
Hi,

Just want to share something that i found and can't find any post related in this forum.

This information is useful for those who bought a second Canon DSLR without any CDs and those who lost theirs. I was trying to find Canon EOS Utility but was not able to get the full copy. The updates require you to have the previous versions installed.

I did a google search and find a neat trick. You just need to download the updates from http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

Select 'Downloads' then 'Consumer'

Mac or PC

• Select 'EOS (SLR) Camera Systems' then 'Digital EOS Cameras' and appropriate camera model
  • Click 'Drivers/Software'
  • Select the required software and your operating system
  • Agree to the blurb to proceed to the download page

Open Notepad and write (or copy/paste into Notepad) the following (exactly):

For Windows 7 (x64)
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\EOS Utility]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\DPP]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\ZoomBrowser EX]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\PhotoStitch
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\EOS Capture]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Canon\EOSViewerUtility]

For Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\EOS Utility]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\DPP]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\ZoomBrowser EX]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\PhotoStitch]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\EOS Capture]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\EOSViewerUtility]

Save as CanonEOS (note .txt extension will be automatically added)
Rename the file CanonUpdate.txt as CanonUpdate.reg
Right-click on CanonUpdate.reg and select the Merge option
You'll be prompted to see if you wish to add this info into the Registry. Answer 'Yes'
You can now install any software update, without having the original installed.

Hi,

Just want to share something that i found and can't find any post related in this forum.

This information is useful for those who bought a second Canon DSLR without any CDs and those who lost theirs. I was trying to find Canon EOS Utility but was not able to get the full copy. The updates require you to have the previous versions installed.

I did a google search and find a neat trick. You just need to download the updates from http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

Select 'Downloads' then 'Consumer'

Mac or PC

• Select 'EOS (SLR) Camera Systems' then 'Digital EOS Cameras' and appropriate camera model
  • Click 'Drivers/Software'
  • Select the required software and your operating system
  • Agree to the blurb to proceed to the download page

Open Notepad and write (or copy/paste into Notepad) the following (exactly):

For Windows 7 (x64)

For Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit

Save as CanonEOS (note .txt extension will be automatically added)
Rename the file CanonUpdate.txt as CanonUpdate.reg
Right-click on CanonUpdate.reg and select the Merge option
You'll be prompted to see if you wish to add this info into the Registry. Answer 'Yes'
You can now install any software update, without having the original installed.

Neat..what about mac OS???

Thanks so much for the information. I managed to install the EOS Utility without any issues but when I tried to install ZoomBrowser EX it does not let me proceed. I am running W7 64bit, any advice how to proceed?

From another thread here some additional details.
Symptom: after creating the files as described in posting #1 and renaming them the option 'Merge' is not available.
Reason: Is your Explorer set to show the extensions of known file types? Please check this. If the Explorer hides the extensions (which is the default setting), all what happens is: you create a text file and the extension .txt is added but not displayed. You see "file_name" but in reality the file is "file_name.txt". If you try to rename the file to .reg what happens is: you change from "file_name.txt" to "file_name.reg.txt" - and Windows will still consider this as text file with no reason to suggest the 'merge' option.
Solution: Go to Explorer, Menu "Organize" - Folder and Search Options - Tab 'View' - List under 'Advanced Settings' - Uncheck the option "Hide extensions for known file types".
Then mark the file, hit F2, change the extension from .txt to .reg, confirm and you'll see the merge option in the context menu upon right click.

Last edited:
From another thread here some additional details.
Symptom: after creating the files as described in posting #1 and renaming them the option 'Merge' is not available.
Reason: Is your Explorer set to show the extensions of known file types? Please check this. If the Explorer hides the extensions (which is the default setting), all what happens is: you create a text file and the extension .txt is added but not displayed. You see "file_name" but in reality the file is "file_name.txt". If you try to rename the file to .reg what happens is: you change from "file_name.txt" to "file_name.reg.txt" - and Windows will still consider this as text file with no reason to suggest the 'merge' option.
Solution: Go to Explorer, Menu "Organize" - Folder and Search Options - Tab 'View' - List under 'Advanced Settings' - Uncheck the option "Hide extensions for known file types".
Then mark the file, hit F2, change the extension from .txt to .reg, confirm and you'll see the merge option in the context menu upon right click.

Actually, there's a easier way, when clicking "SAVE AS" change the "Save As Type" to "ALL FILES" then put the file name in as "CanonUpdate.reg" then click save. Surprise! The file will be in reg format ;)

Hope this helps.