How to increasr magnification for macro photograohy?

Xie Zhichun

Apr 9, 2012
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi I am currently using the 100 mm l f2.8 on a 7d but I'm abit confused with telecovertor and extension tubes, I want to increase magnifications to 2:1 2x lifesize so what should I buy in order to achieve that?

Raynox.

Did you check wgat 'bellow's and 'Raynox' mean? :)

This is a bellows (the thing with folds that can extend or retract):
http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2009/RainyDayPhotography/Macro/BellowsAndLensBig.jpg

This is a Raynox closeup lens convertor:
http://www.mcgill.com.sg/shop/images/dcr-250-1.jpg

Teleconverters gives you magnification by "extending your focal length" and also increase your working distance.
Extension tubes and bellows gives you the ability to focus closer, so your camera/lens can get physically closer to the subject, thereby giving you greater magnification by letting you get closer.
Some macro folks use both at the same time.

Last edited:
Oic so the bellow looks too big, I think I will go with the extension tube and extender. Any nice brands to recommend? Im only looking at 2xlifesize magnification..

I don't do prints I usually just crop out but it's still too small that's y I wanna have 2x magnification

you already have 7D and a 100mm marco lens, which able to to 1:1,

you can't crop out a 2:1 from a 18MP camera?

since you are not doing any printing, how big are the images you want to fill on your monitor?

To achieve 1:1 magnification, set your lens to Manual Focus and turn the focusing ring to minimum distance. Move your camera and lens to focus the object till sharp and snap.

To achieve 1:1 magnification, set your lens to Manual Focus and turn the focusing ring to minimum distance. Move your camera and lens to focus the object till sharp and snap.

Yeah but that's not what he's asking. :)

How about combining both tubes and Raynox? Does anyone have any experience with both together? Thanks

howdy! since that other members answered your questions already. I just want to share my setup for my macro. well im using 5dm2, 100mm f2.8L, kenko 25mm ET and a raynox 250 which gives a good output.for flash im using a small flash for your case use your popup flash and a diy diffuser. pm me for questions.cheers

TS,
you can try :
1. extension tubes
2. raynox
3. reversed 50mm, 35mm with you 100mm macro using a reversed ring
4. MPE-65

get MP-E 65?

No, the answer in in the 'Q' :D