how to improve macro shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

wing oscar

Dec 14, 2006
新加坡
i'm using AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6G DX VR IF-ED for close-up, i notice that i need to stay a distant from the insects to focus n take shot.. so as a result my focus point is covering the whole insect body... after viewing the shot, focus seen to b off...

here r some of my posts.. pls advise / tips, how do i improve my skill.. :cry:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=313726

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=314998

For me, I choose a single AF point, and focus on the eye. For macro shots, you have to make sure that the eye is in focus more than anything else.

i think u need to mount ur camera on a tripod

you already have the answer

Use MF, fix the focus and move camera in and out to get the focus on the eyes...i.e. appear sharp on your viewfinder before taking the shot.

use manual focus, move the camera forward and backward until it is in focus.
get more depth of field
avoid camera shake
use your flash

i think u need to mount ur camera on a tripod

i dont think its the tripod thats going to be a problem at this point of time. i think you need a wider depth of field as its often the subject moving more than the hands. and at short distances, camera's AF is less accurate. especially if you are focusing near the lens min focus distance.

thax guys :)

but on my 2nd post shoot @ bukit batok nature park.. i try using MF shoot n wif my tripod.. but it seen harder to focus in a short time n i understand my shots is still poorly done...

so it mean i need to take note my apeture n DOF well, in order to have a better shot... pls correct me if i'm wrong... look like still need to pratice more n read more.. :think:

Well, for starters, the lens you're using is not a macro lens, so dun expect too much out of it. Secondly, macro shooting normally has very low DOF as the subject to the sensor distance is very short.

Well, for starters, the lens you're using is not a macro lens, so dun expect too much out of it. Secondly, macro shooting normally has very low DOF as the subject to the sensor distance is very short.

thax... if i get close up filter, does it help?? :think:

thax guys :)

but on my 2nd post shoot @ bukit batok nature park.. i try using MF shoot n wif my tripod.. but it seen harder to focus in a short time n i understand my shots is still poorly done...

so it mean i need to take note my apeture n DOF well, in order to have a better shot... pls correct me if i'm wrong... look like still need to pratice more n read more.. :think:

maybe you should practice on stationary subjects first
once you have mastered that, then you can proceed to live subjects

if you are serious about macro,
then maybe you can consider a 2nd hand 3rd party dedicated macro lens instead

I would agree with Ortega, a dedicated macro lens would serve you much better.

Just buy a Tamron 90mm macro lens. Good stuff.

:sweat: buying macro len... got no moneys :cry: need to save up..

slowly save up!
a macro lens would help u get better shots if u r really into macro :)
tamron 90mm is a popular choice. affordable while giving good image quality, with good bokeh.
when u free we can go shoot macro together? i am also learning

You can use closeup filter like 500D to allow you to focus nearer to the object.

slowly save up!
a macro lens would help u get better shots if u r really into macro :)
tamron 90mm is a popular choice. affordable while giving good image quality, with good bokeh.
when u free we can go shoot macro together? i am also learning

i didn't know u in to macro shoot also... :embrass:

can D40 fit onto Tamron 90mm.. if it fit, i only can use MF right?? :confused:

Can use... But only MF option available. That said, if you're shooting with a tripod, MF is totally ok..

yes the tamron 90 can mount on your D40 but you can only use manual focus

but for macro, manual focus is the way to go

have fun!

as a rule only Nikon AF-S and Sigma HSM lenses will AF
for a full list of compatible lenses that will AF
see here

http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=315355

You can use closeup filter like 500D to allow you to focus nearer to the object.

close-up filter 500D cost how much n it is a + how much filter??

Can use... But only MF option available. That said, if you're shooting with a tripod, MF is totally ok..

i got a Giottos ball head tripod.. i find it still hard for me to use, mayb i still not use to it yet...

yes the tamron 90 can mount on your D40 but you can only use manual focus

but for macro, manual focus is the way to go

have fun!

as a rule only Nikon AF-S and Sigma HSM lenses will AF
for a full list of compatible lenses that will AF
see here

http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=315355

thax, i guess i need more pratice to get use on MF... when i try to focus the insect already fly or run off liao~ :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.