How to identify a dx or fx camera body

JMagination

Mar 24, 2011
Hey guys,

u might find this question very stupid and please accept my apology.. but I just wanna know how can u tell wether a camera is a DX or FX body? is Nikon D31000 is a DX body camera?

So sorry guys :( .. I'm really new in this thing!

Thanks a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using ClubSNAP

JMagination said:
Hey guys,

u might find this question very stupid and please accept my apology.. but I just wanna know how can u tell wether a camera is a DX or FX body? is Nikon D31000 is a DX body camera?

Thanks a lot!

The easiest way would be to search the model on google. Sometimes there would be an FX indication on the body itself. The D3100 is a DX body. If you need more info you can always ask our hero bro Kei :bsmilie:

spree86 said:
The easiest way would be to search the model on google. Sometimes there would be an FX indication on the body itself. The D3100 is a DX body. If you need more info you can always ask our hero bro Kei :bsmilie:

hahaha.. I believe the informations u gave was informative enough so I guess I'll skip asking my "hero" :))

anyway... thanks for ur reply bro :)

Peace! ;)

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot!

as this model hasn't been released yet, it's really anyone's guess whether it'll be DX or FX :)

* but the D3100 is a DX body. So far the FX Nikon DSLRs have the 'FX' logo at the bottom-right of the lens mount (when looking at the front of the camera).

another way is to see under "image sensor" in the tech specs link of each camera listed in nikon.com.sg

it is listed pretty clearly, like for example:

for d3100 it stated "Nikon DX format (23.1 x 15.4 mm) CMOS sensor" link: http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem.php?pid=1379-926225e57b&display=technicalspecifications

as for d700 it stated "Nikon FX format (36.0 x 23.9 mm) CMOS sensor; total pixels: 12.87 million" link: http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem.php?pid=1257-63bae4a413&display=technicalspecifications

tnx irvine :)

no problem :)

google is also a gd tool to find answers to ur queries :bsmilie:

Speaking for Nikon since I use the d700.

- By Sight: Nikon FX cameras have a gold FX logo on their bodies. I think Canon do not have such indications, don't know about other brands.
- By Sound: You can ID by sound too, mirror slap of Nikon FX is loud and sounds more mechanic than electronic.
- By Budget: Can tell by price. Safe to say anything below $2.5k should be a DX cam? Considering I bought my d700 2nd hand @ $2.8k for body only, close to 6mths back.
- By Scale: If you happen to hold one. FX cameras made of better material so heavier than DX cams.
- By Observation: Finally Nikon FX is weather-sealed. So it's easier to ID DX cam which the owner is frantically wiping down after a sudden drizzle.

Stuff that the Internet won't immediately tell you. Lol. :)

Last edited:
Almost there... The only exception is D300s which has almost every feature you mention except for the FX logo and price

yep as what the above guys have said...
Currently major brands FX on market..
Nikon:
D700,D3,D3S,D3X models all FX.
Canon:
1DS II/III (not sure about 1), 5D Mk I/II
Sony:
A-850/900
Leica:
M9

look at the model #, its that simple. haha

- By Observation: Finally Nikon FX is weather-sealed. So it's easier to ID DX cam which the owner is frantically wiping down after a sudden drizzle.

now that d300s and d7000 are weather-sealed, i dun tink this will be a gd point to differentiate DX and FX users.

i will still frantically wipe my d300s after it got hit by rain even tho it's weather-sealed :bsmilie:

now that d300s and d7000 are weather-sealed, i dun tink this will be a gd point to differentiate DX and FX users.

i will still frantically wipe my d300s after it got hit by rain even tho it's weather-sealed :bsmilie:

... and brand-new D700 can be purchased for around S$2.5k equivalent, so price criteria also not too correct :)

yep as what the above guys have said...
Currently major brands FX on market..

Nope, only Nikon has FX cameras - FX is a Nikon branding thing. Other manufacturers call it Full-Frame. :p

ZerocoolAstra said:
Nope! :)

I'd better keep quiet, in case the local distributors send their Gestapo police to hunt me down at night! ;)

Lets end the mystery once and for all.

D700 is at an amazing value now, selling at around 3060 locally.

;) for more 'adventurous' folks, please do a search for pricing across the border. We will stop talking about this from now on. ;)

Lets end the mystery once and for all.

D700 is at an amazing value now, selling at around 3060 locally.

;) for more 'adventurous' folks, please do a search for pricing across the border. We will stop talking about this from now on. ;)

yup! :)
me and my big mouth.... :embrass: