how to 'hide' your dslr during walk about?

Actually i dun think u need to hide during walkabout, i find it harder to take a picture of someone without them giving me the dirty look.. or uncle howling at me for trying to take a picture of him. So anyone knows to to be conspicuous when taking pictures of random person on the street?

I double dare you to try to hide your DSLR in MRT or Changi Airport...:bsmilie:

I double dare you to try to hide your DSLR in MRT or Changi Airport...:bsmilie:
Hide and keeping low profile are two different things.

Hide is you are doing something wrong or perceived as wrong by other person.

Keeping low profile is, you don't want to attract unnecessary attention and consequences.

Try to display your expensive gear in a remote lanes in UK or "Gh*****" in US or in not so popular tourist places in India, Nepal (most of SEA), Nigeria (most of Africa). I bet you will not have that luxury to display it too long!! someone else will be displaying that by that time.:bsmilie:

Sorry, no offence to any areas, some places are not that safe to display your expensive items.

it's juz a camera...not weapons..why need to hide/keep low profile:dunno:

:think:maybe can fake them:"look behind you! Then 'snap snap'.":bsmilie:

Actually i dun think u need to hide during walkabout, i find it harder to take a picture of someone without them giving me the dirty look.. or uncle howling at me for trying to take a picture of him. So anyone knows to to be conspicuous when taking pictures of random person on the street?

that actually what i meant to ask.

not sure if i can read body language correctly. some stare at me b4 i took any photo, some ignore me, some looked attracted to me :D.

i want to be a ninja photographer :D

Take a paper bag, cut two holes and then place them over your head... Confirm no one will know who you are!... :bsmilie:

The problem is if you are looking suspicious (doesn't matter hiding or concealing a camera) at the two places I mentioned, it makes no difference... The authorities will go haywire ... thinking that you're up to no good or something...

Hide and keeping low profile are two different things.

Hide is you are doing something wrong or perceived as wrong by other person.

Keeping low profile is, you don't want to attract unnecessary attention and consequences.

Try to display your expensive gear in a remote lanes in UK or "Gh*****" in US or in not so popular tourist places in India, Nepal (most of SEA), Nigeria (most of Africa). I bet you will not have that luxury to display it too long!! someone else will be displaying that by that time.:bsmilie:

Sorry, no offence to any areas, some places are not that safe to display your expensive items.

On the places you pointed out, care to share your specific experiences that made you feel that way? :)

On the places you pointed out, care to share your specific experiences that made you feel that way? :)
You will be robbed in few minutes, if you do not keep low profile. If you resist, you will be physically harmed!!

You will be robbed in few minutes, if you do not keep low profile. If you resist, you will be physically harmed!!

Oh man,sorry to hear that, which country was it that you encountered it?

If that's the case, then the best advice is no to go there, or go with a lot of friends... What's the point of concealing it and not being at ease of shooting it - would you be able to take good pictures then? I thought only professional journalists who depend on story scoops need to worry about such matters, not casual photographers.

I am an old uncle and I find that you have the most practical advice. Other places can be quite different from Singapore. However if you choose to be safe then only go to countries like Japan, Taiwan or Korea. The choice is yours really as it depends on what you are looking for. I rather be careful than sorry. Wherever you are look around and keep your eyes open rather than just be glued to your camera alone. Don't be carried away in any activity oblivious to the surrounding. Professional tricksters know 1001 ways to distract. Do not assume that professional cameramen are flouting their wares openly. They are street smart. Some unpleasant experience is better to be avoided so listen to others who may have been unfortunate. Final choice again is yours.

Last edited:
I am new to DSLR too,now my feeling is nervous because tomorrow i have to go hunting for photo.. hopefully i wont feel embarrassing

I am new to DSLR too,now my feeling is nervous because tomorrow i have to go hunting for photo.. hopefully i wont feel embarrassing
Just hang a sign on your neck that says 'This is not a camera, its my pacemaker' ...........:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Why bother?

I walk around with a DSLR with grip and most often with a pretty large lens. And most ppl just ignore me. Even when I lift up the camera and shoot, they won't even know what I was shooting at in the first place.

It's all in your actions. Just shoot normally and then move on, smile and look nonchalant.

Personally I think for Singapore at least, so long as you have nothing to hide in terms of what you are taking, you don't have to worry, I agree that if you act normally you won't draw unnecessary attention to yourself. Also, as some have mentioned, a ton of gear also draws unnecessary attention... I think for the case of Singapore the bigger problem isn't really about theft or being robbed, but because there are so many people around with cameras nowadays (be in handphones or PnS or DSLRs) people seem to get paranoid that you are secretly taking them or want to take them. That's just my personal take!

Last edited:
Dslr is now SO common.. so the only one feeling uncomfortable is you .. dun worry about it after awhile you get over it.

100% agree with this one.

Recently I went to a city which according to a popular traveler guide book says we must watch out for your camera bla bla bla.. and first night I'm there I walked around the city saw many local taking photographs using SLR with tripod and even some of them with lighting equipment.

Dont worry about that feeling. Maybe the only one who will approach you while shooting is the security guy since you are inside private property :D

I guess the CSer has a very valid question. I know we will find it hard to realise why one want to keep low profile with his camera in Singapore. If you have traveled in so called under developed or developed countries, where law is not as strict as here, or simply does not exist!! you will understand why you want to be low profile.

I walk around much of Siem Reap, Cambodia.... with my 40D+100-400mm L lens, on a DIY 'Black Rapid' sling for all to see.... and no one even tried anything. I won't said that just because you are in an 'under developed' country... something will happen :bsmilie:

put in your bag...i thought nowadays dslr is part of "fashion" lots ppl walking ard with dslr :dunno:

True very the true...i even knows some people who bought a semi pro DSLR but when i asked about how the cam is...the person just say..i dunno..i just shoot in auto only...bummer...wasted....