How to HDR

hotdogbun

Dec 3, 2009
Hello guys,
Can I check is there any way I can HDR my photos using my Nikon D3000?

So far from the vids in youtube, these are the check list to follow. Any others?
- Manual Exposure Mode (which menu is that?)
- Manual White balance (the white balance options are all preset)
- Manual focus (this I know :))
- Active D-Lighting Off (this I know :))
- Auto Gain On (which menu is that?)
- Same aperture for all shots (this I know :))

I've tried the search function for HDR but no results thats why I post in this thread

Cheers

You need to really start reading your manual...

and you couldn't find anything in the search? Seems like it has a problem with 3-character searches, but we have many such threads in the digital darkroom section. What about google?

Digital photography magazine ($6.50) May Edition teach how to create HDR..

Thanks. Will go to darkroom section hunt.
You need to really start reading your manual...

and you couldn't find anything in the search? Seems like it has a problem with 3-character searches, but we have many such threads in the digital darkroom section. What about google?

Hello guys,
Can I check is there any way I can HDR my photos using my Nikon D3000?

So far from the vids in youtube, these are the check list to follow. Any others?
- Manual Exposure Mode (which menu is that?)
- Manual White balance (the white balance options are all preset)
- Manual focus (this I know :))
- Active D-Lighting Off (this I know :))
- Auto Gain On (which menu is that?)
- Same aperture for all shots (this I know :))

I've tried the search function for HDR but no results thats why I post in this thread

Cheers

The easiest way to do HDR is to make use of the bracketing function if it is available on your camera. Normally I only fix the focal length and focus. Of course it is better if you set manual white balance but I usually leave it as auto and found no problem. Unfortunately, auto exposure bracketing is not available on D3000, so you'll need to perform manual bracketing via the manual exposure mode (please read pp 71 of your manual).

Here is how to perform manual bracketing:
(1) select aperture priority mode (A mode), set a desired aperture value which gives you adequate shutter speed, and take note of both values.
(2) set camera to manual exposure mode, then set the aperture and shutter value from (1)
(3) take a shot. This will be the 0 EV shot.
(4) compensate by changing the shutter speed value and take the bracketing shots.

E.g. If the exposure from (1) is f/8 1/500, and you would like to bracket with 1 EV step, the bracketing shots will be:
- f/8 1/500 (0 EV)
- f/8 1/250 (+1 EV)
- f/8 1/125 (+2 EV)
- f/8 1/1000 (-1 EV)
- f/8 1/2000 (-2 EV)

Of course all these shots will need to be done with a tripod. Cheers and have fun. :)

Ziploc
Thanks.. guess I'll try with my LX3.. I remember seeing bracketing function on LX3.

i recommend michael freeman's hdr book... beri good

The easiest way to do HDR is to make use of the bracketing function if it is available on your camera. Normally I only fix the focal length and focus. Of course it is better if you set manual white balance but I usually leave it as auto and found no problem. Unfortunately, auto exposure bracketing is not available on D3000, so you'll need to perform manual bracketing via the manual exposure mode (please read pp 71 of your manual).

Here is how to perform manual bracketing:
(1) select aperture priority mode (A mode), set a desired aperture value which gives you adequate shutter speed, and take note of both values.
(2) set camera to manual exposure mode, then set the aperture and shutter value from (1)
(3) take a shot. This will be the 0 EV shot.
(4) compensate by changing the shutter speed value and take the bracketing shots.

E.g. If the exposure from (1) is f/8 1/500, and you would like to bracket with 1 EV step, the bracketing shots will be:
- f/8 1/500 (0 EV)
- f/8 1/250 (+1 EV)
- f/8 1/125 (+2 EV)
- f/8 1/1000 (-1 EV)
- f/8 1/2000 (-2 EV)

Of course all these shots will need to be done with a tripod. Cheers and have fun. :)
:thumbsup:

and then you will need to merge the images using a hdr program.

as of all things post processing, use it judiciously if needed at all.
happy experimenting

ryan