How to have shallow depth of field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cichlid

Dec 2, 2006
S'pore
Hi, how to have shallow depth of field for portrait photo during day / night time. What are the settings. I know must have big aperture but i can't get it right. Only when taking small objects at near distance then can. Any tips? Btw, I'm using D40.

Hi, how to have shallow depth of field for portrait photo during day / night time. What are the settings. I know must have big aperture but i can't get it right. Only when taking small objects at near distance then can. Any tips? Btw, I'm using D40.

what your lens' focal length?

cheers...

get a f2.8 lens can liaoz...70-200 will be good to start off with...

use max zoom, let's say 70-200 ( u choose 200)
then biggest aperture, meaning f3.5-f5.6, you choose f3.5

i think u did not zoom in the kit lens, from the way u said only achivable at near disance to lens only. zoom in to the max 55mm. and u will see.

use max zoom, let's say 70-200 ( u choose 200)
then biggest aperture, meaning f3.5-f5.6, you choose f3.5

No.. if he's at 200mm then he can only choose f5.6. ;p

50mm F1.2

is there even a 70-200 f3.5-5.6?

and if he chooses 200mm, max aperture is 5.6

not referring to the same lens ;) just asking him to choose the max focal length + use wide open to achieve as much bokeh as possible.

sorry if it was confusing

not referring to the same lens ;) just asking him to choose the max focal length + use wide open to achieve as much bokeh as possible.

sorry if it was confusing

If's it's a variable aperture lens. The smaller aperture will be for the max zoom setting.

For e.g. Nikon's 70-210 f4 - f5.6

at 70mm f4 is MAX
at 210mm f5.6 is MAX. You can't get it to open to f4 at 210mm...

hihi, guess it wasn't a good example. ;)
my mistake.

probably more applicable with constant aperture rather than variable aperture.

Merry X'mas, thanks for all the replies...i got it...just zoom in and use wide aperture....got a lot to learn...

Merry X'mas, thanks for all the replies...i got it...just zoom in and use wide aperture....got a lot to learn...

Hi cichild,

correct, getting closer to the subject also helps.

Using the widest aperture on your lens helps too.

Happy snapping.

Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.