how to handle cameras in cold weather countries (winter time)

wolvie77

Nov 15, 2009
Hi! All. Need help about handling cameras in extreme cold weather such as winter time where some countries snow. I've heard from friends who experienced extreme battery drain when they use their cameras in such situations. Or the camera itself can be damaged in such weathers. My friend is bring along a Canon Ixus & a Sony NEX F3 camera. Would like to find out what precautions to take when using them.

Batteries usually do not work at below 4 deg C. Keep the camera warm by putting it into your jacket when not in use, or when it does not function.

Brought a 60D to Hokkaido in -9 celcius with snowstorms every other day 2 years ago. I noted these things:

1. Battery life is shorter so I keep one near my body (therefore kept warm) as replacement. I say power went down by maybe about half.
2. UV filter on the lens so I can wipe off quickly when there's water on it. If it fogged, just remove
3. Condensation when I moved from indoors to outdoors and vice versa. The 60D held up surprisingly well in this regard, the worse I got was a fogged up UV filter. I ended up just holding it more often than throwing it into my shoulder bag even when in the bus
4. It's a PITA to hit the shutter with thick heavy gloves
5. I've had snow fall over the camera which I will wipe quickly with my gloves or a handy towel.
6. I've also had a thick spray of snow 'splash' onto the camera which caused it to shut down and refuse to start up. It was so covered with snow that the hotshoe got filled with it. I brought it indoors, shook it around, wiped the camera and lens down, removed the UV filter, waited for the fogging to disappear, and it started back up again.
7. I made sure to clean and wipe down the camera every night

Do note however, the 60D does have some sort of weather sealing, which I doubt the IXUS or NEX have.

Last edited:
TS: have you noticed those sticky threads? Do so and find this one: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/general-tech-talk/615253-problems-dslr-extremely-cold-weather.html
Whatever questions might remain please post there.
Do worry more about protecting yourself, you are coming from tropical humid climate into cold and dry climate. There's more to worry than your camera - which was designed in a country with Winter.

Batteries usually do not work at below 4 deg C. Keep the camera warm by putting it into your jacket when not in use, or when it does not function.

ACtually, they still work, just that the amount of charge is reduced, so it seems the battery seems to drain faster. I have shot in -20 deg C before. They still work.

These two models are small enough to put in your coat pocket in order to keep them warm as much as possible. Just take them out to shoot and then put them back in the pocket.

I shoot in Korea -20 with nikon D700 working fine just battery drain faster than usual. For me I hang my camera seldom in bag to avoid sudden change in temperature. Years back saw few pns camera can't work when they take out from bag and is only 15degree maybe due to sudden change in temperature. Just bring extra battery and charge them every nite even you didn't use it.

"Precaution using dslr in extreme weather"

Google

Last edited:
May I know how many batteries is necessary to be safe?
I'm heading to Korea for 10days with my 60d.

& any dos & donts when changing lens.?