How to get your sky looking like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabee

Mar 12, 2009
Upper Serangoon
www.flickr.com
DSCF8696.jpg

Image borrowed from yongcheng from his thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524597

How does one go about achieving this effect with the sky? Is this post processing or are any filters used?

1) if the sky is not blue, then you take 8000 shots , pp it 8000 ways, short of painting it blue you won't get a blue sky

2) circular polarisers can help to darken the skies and make the blues nicer, but i don't think yongcheng has used that here, would have to ask him though

3) so in short, wait for the right light, photography does involve luck, like it or not

4) saturation of cyan/blue channels can help somewhat, but once again, 1 applies

Looks like a circular polarizer to me. If you view his other picture, there is no reflection in the sea (which is one of the things a polarizer does).

More often than not, it's just the right weather and location. However, that picture looks a little saturated for my taste so I would reckon it had passed some post-processing.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like Singapore to me. I think the further away u are from the equator, the bluer the skies are... Like when I was in Australia, the skies are always a beautiful blue that is very very seldom seen in Singapore. Just a look at the photo and you know it's not Singapore or Malaysia already. Haha! So yes, location plays a part in how blue skies can get.

Doesn't look like Singapore to me. I think the further away u are from the equator, the bluer the skies are... Like when I was in Australia, the skies are always a beautiful blue that is very very seldom seen in Singapore. Just a look at the photo and you know it's not Singapore or Malaysia already. Haha! So yes, location plays a part in how blue skies can get.

well, so do you think these look like singapore?

original.jpg

original.jpg

no polariser used, only curves and usm done in post process.

being at the right time and at the right place helps

also facing the right direction also helps

i too can get nice blue skies in singapore, no filters and no PP somemore

original.jpg

Is this at Pulau Ubin the Chek Jawa there?
seems like its there though :bsmilie:

original.jpg

original.jpg

nice clouds u have there in changi baorddwalk.
wondering whats USM u r referring to?

i only know canon USM lens. :)

Last edited:
unsharp mask?

nice clouds u have there in changi baorddwalk.
wondering whats USM u r referring to?

i only know canon USM lens. :)

I think he is referring to unsharp mask :)

Singapore does have its fair share of blue skies. You just need to be more observant.

Subjected. We can have very blue sky, especially at the sea.

At bukit batok xiao guilin, around 6pm, the sky will turn very blue.

Use a polarizer will always help to make sky more darker and far distance clearer as during daytime, the distance objects can get washout by the light. But polarizer cannot make a grey sky turns blue, it makes it worst.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/y0ngcheng/DSCF8696.jpg[/IMG]

Image borrowed from yongcheng from his thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524597

How does one go about achieving this effect with the sky? Is this post processing or are any filters used?

graduated blue filter?

yeah. depends on time also... i got a shot that was pretty blue at changi , pardon the sucky composition :)

3428838511_5f3bd44337.jpg

Ok, I guess I wasn't very clear on what I was trying to say. I meant, it's easier to get a blue blue sky overseas than in Singapore. Agree, we do have blue blue skies sometimes, but like was said, being at the right place at the right time plays a part. In my experience, I can get very blue skies easily... just snap anytime in the day and you get very blue skies... as if you had a polarizer.

it is possible to get blue skies in SG in certain times of the year. most of the time, you can either get by by stopping down ur lens (i like to go f16) or simply just slap a polarizer on ur lens.

took this some years ago with my F5 using velvia 50 film at chinese garden. WYSIWYG. no PP, no filters.

Last edited:
it is possible to get blue skies in SG in certain times of the year. most of the time, you can either get by by stopping down ur lens (i like to go f16) or simply just slap a polarizer on ur lens.

took this some years ago with my F5 using velvia 50 film at chinese garden. WYSIWYG. no PP, no filters.

but Velvia is famous for highly saturated and contrasty output, might not be a true represenation of the sky's color when shot, no? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.