How to get ultra clear picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mi4nyang

Nov 16, 2008
Hi, I am using nikon d60.

I've been taking pictures at the largest resolution and somehow these picture don't look as sharp as when i see people's pictures on the forum. These pictures on the forum r usually smaller in size.

Is it the problem of my lens, my camera, or isit the UV filter that is causing imperfect sharpness.
Or is it the large resolution that made me able to see the slight blur cuz when i shrink it it looks sharper. Is it normal to not have perfect sharpness in large resolution?

Or is it because of handshake, even in shutter of 1/250?

Thanks.

Post a photo and let others take a look.

try using a tripod??

Hi, I am using nikon d60.

I've been taking pictures at the largest resolution and somehow these picture don't look as sharp as when i see people's pictures on the forum. These pictures on the forum r usually smaller in size.

Is it the problem of my lens, my camera, or isit the UV filter that is causing imperfect sharpness.
Or is it the large resolution that made me able to see the slight blur cuz when i shrink it it looks sharper. Is it normal to not have perfect sharpness in large resolution?

Or is it because of handshake, even in shutter of 1/250?

Thanks.

Bros!
Post a photo lah to see see. I my be worse than you

if you look at 100% crops, you will never get it to look as sharp as it does at 800 pixels widest.

good processing techniques like proper sharpening also helps.

that said, please post photo to let us know what you mean.

Hi all,
3293710841_00576362d4_b.jpg

3294538512_03660e757b_b.jpg

3294539306_fa5514ac35_b.jpg

3293716715_232dbcbb29_b.jpg

This are my images. But they are not the FULL size. thats the biggest i can get on flickr. The full size is much larger. And looks blurer. But is it normal?

All the images are processed except 3. 3 and 4 are same image but 4 is processed. How can i improve my processing for all the images? Thanks

1. Are you using a filter? If yes, which one?
2. Is your filter/lens clean?
3. After resizing the images, did you apply an unsharp mask?
4. What aperture are you shooting at?

To get ultra clear picture... you can look into one or all of the following... ;) the following list is what i can think of that can affect the sharpness of a picture...

1. Ultra good camera (OK... D60 is a good enuf camera...)

2. Ultra good lens (what lens are you using? Generally, most lenses are acceptable... but I found macro lenses are the sharpest to use.)

3. Ultra good focusing (some lenses may suffer from front/back focusing issues).

4. Aperture setting for ultra sharpness (what aperture are you using? normally, should use at least 2 stops from the largest aperture... but using the smallest aperture may cause diffraction.)

5. Ultra low ISO (high ISO would be noisy).

6. Ultra stable base for camera (best if on a ultra good tripod... VR/IS are not magic features...)

7. Ultra good filter (or forget using a filter...).

8. Ultra good lighting (don't get too much flare which would affect the picture... or have too little light... etc...).

9. Ultra good photo editing tools (you can use sharpening... but overdoing it would make the pic look bad. if you shoot RAW, the RAW converter can affect the image quality).

10. Do not crop ultra small portion of pic.

11. Have ultra still subject (not like moving grass in the wind).

12. Have ultra clear weather/atmosphere (e.g. no haze).

1. Ultra good camera (OK... D60 is a good enuf camera...)

2. Ultra good lens (what lens are you using? Generally, most lenses are acceptable... but I found macro lenses are the sharpest to use.)

3. Ultra good focusing (some lenses may suffer from front/back focusing issues).

4. Aperture setting for ultra sharpness (what aperture are you using? normally, should use at least 2 stops from the largest aperture... but using the smallest aperture may cause diffraction.)

5. Ultra low ISO (high ISO would be noisy).

6. Ultra stable base for camera (best if on a ultra good tripod... VR/IS are not magic features...)

7. Ultra good filter (or forget using a filter...).

8. Ultra good lighting (don't get too much flare which would affect the picture... or have too little light... etc...).

9. Ultra good photo editing tools (you can use sharpening... but overdoing it would make the pic look bad. if you shoot RAW, the RAW converter can affect the image quality).

10. Do not crop ultra small portion of pic.

11. Have ultra still subject (not like moving grass in the wind).

12. Have ultra clear weather/atmosphere (e.g. no haze).

13. Ultraman with ultra good techniques :sweatsm:

Hi all!

I'm using UV filters / Hoya CPL filter. They make the picture more unsharp?

I don't use unsharp mask.

For pic 1: Aperture - F4
2: F4
3 & 4: F3.5

Is the aperture too big? I was thinkin that using the hyperfocal length thingy to get infinite sharpness. thats y i applied the biggest aperture. Did i misunderstand about the hyperfocal length theory? lol

Btw does my pics look unclear?

Your aperture is too big. Remember, the smaller your aperture, the sharper your photo will be (until it hits beyond f11 when diffraction occurs).

Take note the difference bwtween 'big aperture' and 'big f-stop number'. They're the inverse of one another.

You could have stopped down to f/5.6 or f/6.3 and still achieve hand-holdable shutter speeds. :)

Last edited:
Hi all!

I'm using UV filters / Hoya CPL filter. They make the picture more unsharp?

I don't use unsharp mask.

For pic 1: Aperture - F4
2: F4
3 & 4: F3.5

Is the aperture too big? I was thinkin that using the hyperfocal length thingy to get infinite sharpness. thats y i applied the biggest aperture. Did i misunderstand about the hyperfocal length theory? lol

Btw does my pics look unclear?

personally, i don't think that the filter will make the photos not sharp

try to use F8-F11 and a shutter speed of at least 1/focus length. if it is not achievable, pump up the ISO a little. it is better to get a noisy than a bad photo due to hand-shake.

Is the aperture too big? I was thinkin that using the hyperfocal length thingy to get infinite sharpness. thats y i applied the biggest aperture. Did i misunderstand about the hyperfocal length theory?

Yes, you got it wrong completely. Read up:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/hyperfocal-distance.htm

In addition, check which AF point you have used. It seems to me that the focus locked on the lower parts of the image (which are closer to you) and in result (and due to wide open aperture) the other parts of the picture are not in focus = unsharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.