How to get this effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjana

May 24, 2004
Cloud Cuckoo Land
my sis got married recently, and one of the pics the photographer took looked like this

3772744977_fe8fb684d5.jpg

i like the look of it and hoping to be able to reproduce it but have minimal experience with photoshopping (or any other PP for that matter). could someone please give some hints?

sorry but I don't get it. What so special about this pic :dunno:

my sis got married recently, and one of the pics the photographer took looked like this

i like the look of it and hoping to be able to reproduce it but have minimal experience with photoshopping (or any other PP for that matter). could someone please give some hints?

If it's the background being out of focus then suggest you Google "bokeh". This is more likely a result of a large aperture.

I believe the effect you are referring to is the depth of field. Depth of field has nothing to do with any Photoshop but rather the camera's aperture.

However, the depth of field effect can also be achieved using Photoshop. But, it won't be that realistic. Here's a link to the DOF tutorial --http://www.phototos...f-field/

looks like a soft filter (i may be wrong). Traditionally, a filter is being put ontop of the lens. Right now, Photoshop shld have some inbuilt filters or some plug ins shld be able to do the job.

Looks like bokeh plus soft focus effect....

Its best achieved with lens.

But you can also create an effect like that one with Adobe Photoshop.
The technique is called "Soft Focus" effect.

1. Open the image.

2. Duplicate the layer. (Ctrl + J) on Windows

3. Go to Filter -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur. Give the amount about 3 to 5. (This value depends on your image's focus, and resolution a lot, so please experiment with that values)

4. Then change the layer's blending mode to -> Soft Light.
(This is probably the most difficult to find, if you're new to Adobe Photoshop.)
i. You can go to Layer -> Layer Styles -> Blending Options...
ii. and change the Blending Mode from Normal to "Soft Light"​
(Also experiment with different blending modes, like "Multiply, Screen, Overlay, etc..." They have different effects.)

If it's the background being out of focus then suggest you Google "bokeh". This is more likely a result of a large aperture.

and small f-stop.. :)

googling aperture will also help, as well as picking up a basic photography book.

If you have Lightroom, can try decreasing the clarity level.

Image feels "soft", so either the focus was off intentionally or a slight blurring is present (intentionally or not). If your shutter speed is low (perhaps 1/30?) for close range, you can get the slightly blurred effect... just play around with different f-stop and shutter speeds =)

thanks for the comments, guys!

i was there taking photos also, and got the same pic but not as nice, despite having the same iso setting as the photographer (iso 800 - we talked shop before the ceremony started). she was using canon also, looks the same size like mine, so must be XXD model, and was using an L lens, which i guess must be 24-70mm or 24-105mm.

it was low light and no flash, so there was noticeable camera shake, but not as pronounced or artistic as this one :p

Last edited:
Its best achieved with lens.

But you can also create an effect like that one with Adobe Photoshop.
The technique is called "Soft Focus" effect.

1. Open the image.

2. Duplicate the layer. (Ctrl + J) on Windows

3. Go to Filter -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur. Give the amount about 3 to 5. (This value depends on your image's focus, and resolution a lot, so please experiment with that values)

4. Then change the layer's blending mode to -> Soft Light.
(This is probably the most difficult to find, if you're new to Adobe Photoshop.)
i. You can go to Layer -> Layer Styles -> Blending Options...
ii. and change the Blending Mode from Normal to "Soft Light"​
(Also experiment with different blending modes, like "Multiply, Screen, Overlay, etc..." They have different effects.)

Nice tutorial you got here!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

this is my own take of the same subject.

canon 40D, at f 5.6, 1/13 sec, ISO 800

5610_130280100241_688660241_3106452_1434233_n.jpg

this is my own take of the same subject.

canon 40D, at f 5.6, 1/13 sec, ISO 800

5610_130280100241_688660241_3106452_1434233_n.jpg

i think the photographer has a better camera? Did u say she uses a L lens?

i think the photographer has a better camera? Did u say she uses a L lens?

no lah, i don't think it's the camera or lens. well, firstly it's quite obvious her framing is better than mine. what i'm not certain about is if the softness is from camera shake or from wide open aperture or both, or PP. i think there is some PP involved, as i saw her other pictures and they certainly don't have that same softness.

Do u all change the opacity after using soft blur. the colour like a bit saturated to me when i follow your tutorial.

this is how it looks like after i applied the recommended steps. thanks waiaung! :)

3979304159_0af8c68e11.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.