How to get these type of shots?

chgoh25

Oct 11, 2007
Hi to all the experts here, I saw these shots on DRTV... Wondering how you can make these type of shots without post processing.

sorry for the noob question...

scaled.php

scaled.php

Last edited:
do you want to achieve the color or the vignetting(dark corners)?

both of them.. the white light in the studio was somehow changed to the colours in the photo..

chgoh25 said:
both of them.. the white light in the studio was somehow changed to the colours in the photo..

?????????????????

Without post processing? Maybe film?
I not sure about that but I do PP if I want that kind of finishing.

sorry.. im not sure if it can be done without PP so i asked here.. is it something to do with the lighting in the studio?

?????????????????

sorry.. dunno if they changed any lighting settings. i dont have any experience in studio photography so i asked...

Without post processing? Maybe film?
I not sure about that but I do PP if I want that kind of finishing.

im prettty sure they used dslr..

A few clicks and drags on the sliders and the effect is there already ...

white balance, saturation and curves.

You can try to stack two or more filters which will give you the four corner vignetting.
As for the colour, you can try sepia filter and stack it on.

To TS:

1. You cut off the watermarks and gave no credit to the original photographer. This makes what you did plagiarism.

2. Are you 100% suuuuuuuure they did not post process? This is about 5 minutes in photoshop with ANY camera.

3. If there was no photoshop, it could be reddish/pink gel on the strobes, lower saturation in the camera settings, and a too-small lens hood for vignette. But honestly, that's a lot of effort and you risk everything - if the shots don't come out just right it's very hard to rescue. Which is why I am sure they shot it normally then did post processing. This way they have the most creative leeway.

sorry.. dunno if they changed any lighting settings. i dont have any experience in studio photography so i asked...

If you do not have experience in studio photography... then we can't possibly explain to make you understand.

BTW... the photos are from here...

[video=youtube;s0JQfoMZbTM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s0JQfoMZbTM[/video]

Last edited:
If you do not have experience in studio photography... then we can't possibly explain to make you understand.

BTW... the photos are from here...

Yup, so it did not look like he used colored gels (maybe not allowed to in that short time) but There could have been simple changes to white balance to a warmer tone and/or add a red filter in the camera processing, then apply sepia then lower saturation. Lighting wise, it's easy to get vignetting in a studio environment because you have control over the lighting.

Yup, so it did not look like he used colored gels (maybe not allowed to in that short time) but There could have been simple changes to white balance to a warmer tone and/or add a red filter in the camera processing, then apply sepia then lower saturation. Lighting wise, it's easy to get vignetting in a studio environment because you have control over the lighting.

Actually, it is possible to get the light fall off. Just look at the small Elinchrome portalite softbox...

Actually, it is possible to get the light fall off. Just look at the small Elinchrome portalite softbox...

Yup, the light falloff is easily doable. The color cast though looks like some in-camera settings.