How to Get the color synchronized

Status
Not open for further replies.

hulkanaden

Dec 11, 2006
Singapore
Dear Club Snap Users

I have a Canon MP988 and was doing some prints with my computer..
But the color from my screen (the edited photo) and the printed photos are not the same color?

How do i over come this problem?

Is a setting problem?

Is there a web site which teaches you how to print photos?

As there are setting which can be done, like which color setting? Do i use my calibrated monitor setting? the Adobe RBG setting or the Printer settings?

How do you guys get a good printed photo? (which is the color from your screen resembles the printed photo)

Pls advise and how to resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance.. and would love to hear from you all..

Cheers

Have a look into Digital Darkroom. You will need to calibrate (profile) your monitor and your printer. In addition, read up about colour spaces (sRGB, Adobe RGB) and embedded profiles. From your questions it seems you need some baseline knowledge at first. No point tinkering around with settings if you don't know what that means.

Have a look into Digital Darkroom. You will need to calibrate (profile) your monitor and your printer. In addition, read up about colour spaces (sRGB, Adobe RGB) and embedded profiles. From your questions it seems you need some baseline knowledge at first. No point tinkering around with settings if you don't know what that means.

I know a-little.. i have already calibrated my laptop screen using a spider 2 express.!!!
Just want to ask you... when you all print photos.. what color profile do you use?
The computer generated ICC
the Printer generated ICC or No color management?

Do you select the apporate printing paper? such as semi-gloss or leave it at plain paper.. What if you are using another brand of printing paper? and there is no option for that? What do you do?

What are the steps you all take to get the same prints(printed photo) from the actual picture(from your computer)?

Cheers

I know.. I have already calibrated my monitor using spider express..

I want to know what color profile do you guys use while printing..
the printer generated ICC
the computer generated ICC
your monitor calibrated ICC or
No color management?

Do you select the apporate printing paper in the settings or you leave it as plain paper?
what if you are using another brand of printing paper and the selection is not available ?
What do you do.?

I would like to know the steps in which you all take to print a photo.. such as color profiles selected, if the correct printing paper is selected?

Cheers

It's going to be very difficult to get a perfect match because the monitor (screen) uses Blue, Green and Red light to generate the infinite range of colours while the printer uses Yellow, Magenta, Cyan and Black pigment/dye to generate the infinite range of colours.

The pigment/dye is also not 100% pure; as such it's almost impossible to get a perfect match. The shade of the paper (substrate) can also affect the result; your whitest white is govern by how white or yellow your paper is.

In theory if you pile 100% Yellow, 100% Magenta and 100% of Cyan pigment/dye on top of each other you are suppose to get black but in real life you get a dirty brown. That why a black pigment/dye is use to correct the impurity of the pigment/dye.

You can only try and calibrate both monitor and printer to it's optimum.

Last edited:
You don't use any monitor profile for printing, never.
If you have calibrated your monitor then next is to do the same with your printer. A printer is calibrated against a certain type of paper. Here you can either use the profiles provided by printer manufacturer (if you use the respective paper as described) or you can create your own printer/paper profile.
Search for 'printer' in Digital Darkroom, plenty of hits.

Oh ok... As for calibrating your printer.. what device do you guys use?
I have see some over the internet but they seem very pricey. so what equipment do you guys use?

I have see some over the internet but they seem very pricey. so what equipment do you guys use?

You normally use a densitometer to measure the reflection density of the solid Yellow, Magenta, Cyan and Black. The densitometer must be zero with the stock (paper) you are printing on.

You also check the dot gain (dot spread) because certain paper are more absorbent than others.

The poor man's way is to compare the solid colours with the PMS colour guide. Try and get the following colours as close as possible:

1. Yellow

2. Cyan

3. Magenta

4. Black

5. Blue (100% Cyan+100% Magenta)

6. Green (100% Yellow+100% Cyan)

7. Red (100% Yellow+100% Magenta)

Inaccurate colours can be cause by:

1. Shade of the ink; you'll find that Canon and Epson shade is slightly different

2. Shade of paper. Very white, white or yellowish

3. Paper surface texture; smooth or rough

4. How absorbent is the paper

5. The colour temperature of the lights in your room

It's good to use the ink and paper from the same manufacturer to minimise the colour variation.

Spyder 2 Suite comes with printer calibration function. Check the newer Spyder 3, should include this as well. Express is "screen only".

Not too sure how to navigate through the web site but i think the only one which can calibrate the printer is the spyder3studio SR which is around $599 USD
is this the correct one? Or are there any other cheaper ones.. Please let me know.!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.