How to get the Bronzed skin tone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemesis32

Oct 16, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Hi guys

I was always very curious on how people actually create the bronzed skin tone thru photoshop. ANyone cares to enlighten me? :)

care to post an example? =)

Let me see if i can find one of the pics posted by fellow CS members...

Something like the 1st pic but the 1st pic i don't think there's much PS, more of the lighting.

The closest is the one with the woman on the sofa followed by the man in suit and tie. That's the effect i am looking for.

i think those are achieved by desaturating the red channel.
and of course you can use dodge tool to do the highlighting of the contours if the lighting is too flat.

Alternatively, you can apply strobe cream on the model before the shoot. It's known by many names though. Technically, any good oil-base hand/skin lotion gives similar results. Last time saw this model using this product from MaxFactor ( can't remember name) that was going for $240 for a small canister.

Actually after some PS experiments, I'm beginning to realize that the bronzed skin look is a side effect of selective Gaussian blur being used to hide blemishes in the skin!

There are a few ways to do this. Here's one.

1) Create a new "Selective Color" layer. Adjust Magenta, Yellow and Black to achieve the bronze you want.

13685SelectColor.jpg

2) Mask off background if required.

13685Layer.jpg

Here's before and after photos:

583.jpg

13685583_bronze.jpg

Sorry, pointblankshots. Used your photo without asking you first. Thanks.

you may want to try doing it the analogue way before going digital
Playboy magazine's a good place to check out, (I'm sure there are some lying around in singapore...)
if I remember correctly they use a certain yellowish gel that gives a late afternoon sunlight look to strobes
Tungsten lights + bronzing cream and powder does wonders too

mattlock said:
you may want to try doing it the analogue way before going digital
Playboy magazine's a good place to check out, (I'm sure there are some lying around in singapore...)
if I remember correctly they use a certain yellowish gel that gives a late afternoon sunlight look to strobes
Tungsten lights + bronzing cream and powder does wonders too

Aiyo...you let the cat out of the bag already lah heheh....Just want to see how far they would go to try and explain how it was done using Photoshop.

:bsmilie:

sammy888 said:
Aiyo...you let the cat out of the bag already lah heheh....Just want to see how far they would go to try and explain how it was done using Photoshop.

:bsmilie:

Think they were thinking about colour instead on the texture. It's the texture that you was thinking about right, nemesis32??

Prismatic said:
Think they were thinking about colour instead on the texture. It's the texture that you was thinking about right, nemesis32??

Yup.. i am more keen on the texture. Colour wise, i more or less understand that it's tweaked with the channels. texture wise, i think as some have mentioned, it should be done with some gaussian blur, which will smooth out the skin, i guess. :)

I think it's impt to do it right in the 1st instance rather tahn relying on PS, so the tips provided by you guys are really helpful. Just wondering if any makeup artist lurking around clubsnap that can do the makeup and can suggest what sort of cream/powder they used?

Prismatic said:

hahah...you asking me or nemesis32? heh

The colour is not that hard to do. But the skin texture bit is what is harder to do. Easier to do at the makeup stage ( in fact this was how they did this years ago and this was pre-PS. This is not a new age style but have been around for sometime now) The skill of the makeup artist is very crucial along with the lighting.

In the old day's you put in a roll of Velvia 50 for that bronze skin look :bsmilie:

Just a joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.