How to get suck smooth bokoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minerva

May 7, 2009
Singapore
Hi! I was wondiering how to get such a smooth bokeh. Is it determined by the lense or any lense can produce something like that or better? :eek:

402222.jpg

The further the background is away from the foreground subject, the creamier it should be. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The lens can certainly play a part, but in this case it's the most basic aspect of blurring the background: Large aperture, the distance between the subject and the background, coupled with the distance of the photographer to the subject.

Also, it's considered very bad manners to post someone else's pictures without their permission.

it's considered very bad manners to post someone else's pictures without their permission.

Somehow I got a feeling this is coming. :bsmilie:

Background bokeh such as in the TS's posted image is created by having a long focal length lens with a very fast aperture so that the Depth of field that is in focus is quite narrow. The distance from the background really is irrelevant as long as it's a couple of metres or more. Generally you need an aperture of less than f2.8 for lenses of 70 to 400mm and f4 for 500mm plus to achieve such results.

2009-11-22-13-48-29-068.jpg

The thread title is mis-spelt. H and K are separated by the J key. Kinda hard to miss by that much.
Ian has already answered the question so succintly. Nothing more to add :cool:

Edit: realized "bokoh" is also mis-spelt, but that's probably due to not knowing the correct spelling.

Last edited:
Background bokeh such as in the TS's posted image is created by having a long focal length lens with a very fast aperture so that the Depth of field that is in focus is quite narrow. The distance from the background really is irrelevant as long as it's a couple of metres or more. Generally you need an aperture of less than f2.8 for lenses of 70 to 400mm and f4 for 500mm plus to achieve such results.

2009-11-22-13-48-29-068.jpg

yes, else if you do not own such lens, you can try achieving it thru post-processing. (although the effect might not be 100% similar);)

yes, else if you do not own such lens, you can try achieving it thru post-processing. (although the effect might not be 100% similar);)

You will never achieve it via post processing. One thing you novices need to learn is that PhotoShop or other post image processing is not a panacea for not having the right equipment, knowledge or application of said knowledge. Get it right in camera and post processing becomes purely an adjunct. Great images are made in camera as no amount of post processing can turn a krap photo in to a masterpiece.

".....suck smooth bokoh....." LOL !!!!! ....... ok, sorry :)

On a more serious note: As above bro has mentioned, please respect others' images and AT LEAST list the source of the image and its credit (Fred Miranda in your case) as a matter of common courtesy

Last edited:
Interesting that when you google the word 'bokoh', how to suck smooth bokoh comes up on top of the search list. we're about to get famous.

Status
Not open for further replies.