How to get rid of lens flare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamdruglord

Feb 9, 2006
Hello all the helpful souls out there, needs a little guide here. Been doing some reading and using a lens hood. Somehow, there's always a green patchy or dot around my moon shot (an overexposed one). Anyone has any idea how can I get rid of it ? The lens hood i used is a narrow petal one and a round one (two different hoods, same results).

Thanks in advance !

CHeers !

small8ki.jpg

If u're pointing it directly towards the lens, there's nothing much you can do as in internal elements inside the lens will still cause this effect, same for sunlight.

get rid of your UV filter or clearglass ! it will really2 help

Thanks for all the constructive suggestion. Will try again in a few days time w/o filter and pointing slanted when the moon is full. The exposure was not corrected because a friend wants a moon photo from me that way instead of seeing crater and such :dunno: I find that glob with halo interesting too :D A corrected exposure version would be tried too.

You can also try shooting at an angle away from direct moonlight but still capturing the moon inside your frame. Use a lens hood too.

Snoweagle said:
You can also try shooting at an angle away from direct moonlight but still capturing the moon inside your frame. Use a lens hood too.
If you have the light source in your frame, a lens hood is useless.

lsisaxon said:
If you have the light source in your frame, a lens hood is useless.

Yupz but if the angle is right, it'll work. But usually it's not recommended to take light sources directly into the lens as the flare can be quite terrible.

photoshop it away lor..

Witness said:
use a big big piece of cardboard to block hahaha

Or use a cardboard with a pinhole instead of the lens. Pinholes don't have reflective surfaces ;).

think that the UV filter is the problem ... I got the same problem b4 ... basically, the light pass thru ur UV, hits ur lens, part of it is reflected and since there is a gap bet ur lens and filter, the reflection is casted on the underside of the filter ...

paradigm said:
think that the UV filter is the problem ... I got the same problem b4 ... basically, the light pass thru ur UV, hits ur lens, part of it is reflected and since there is a gap bet ur lens and filter, the reflection is casted on the underside of the filter ...

Then did u try it without the filter? Cos i didn't have this prob with filters on.

Ya, aft removing the filters, no problem liao .... must be the problem of cheap filters ... sigh x 2 ...

paradigm said:
Ya, aft removing the filters, no problem liao .... must be the problem of cheap filters ... sigh x 2 ...

You can try the Hoya HMC (High Multi Coated) UV filter...cheap and good...:thumbsup:
If you want better quality filter go for B+W...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

paradigm said:

Get at least a considerably good filter, u'll learn to appreciate the beauty of how it'll work for u :) Dun need to buy so expensive ones like close to $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.